Click here if you are having website access problems ×

adjustable spring bases

Super_Rich_Bernie

The ground clearance on my 1998 Live Axle car is becoming a problem. I'm hoping someone can help me work out the best course of action.

It seems to have settled a little over the last year and I now have problems clearing some speed humps on one of my south london rat runs.

The dampers are Bilstiens, which I gather are standard kit on the 2000 Live axle cars (and other 7s maybe?) The spring bases appear to be held by a circlip in a groove on the damper body. I haven't taken them off the car - but thats how it looks to be.

I think I have two options:

1. Move the circlip a notch or two on the damper body. (Is this possible without removing the spring damper unit?)

2. Buy a set of adjustable platform units.

If I do this I assume that I can have the corner weights set on the car, and that this is the main benefit over moving the circlip. I use the car for sprints, so anything which gets me around the course a little faster is welcome.

My question here is whether in practice I'm going to notice the difference. Can i expect a dramatic improvement in grip, or in feel?

A set of adjsutable platforms, fitting, and a flat floor set up will cost me £450.

Advice from those who have done this before is most welcome.

If anyone ghas a secnd hand set of adjustable platforms i would be interested too.

regards

Jonathan

Where are you based?.......I'm in Merseyside/Lancs, and may be getting rid of a set of Billies/adj.platforms.

My mate (Richard at Banks) will flat floor car for you, and job will be a lot less than £450.

E.mail me if interested.

Kenny HPC

PS...It makes no difference for road use......but lap times improved a lot.