Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series dry sump breathing options

prs

I'm about to drop in a K1.8 with a VVC head giving 200BHP with the Caterham dry sump system. I've got a 1 litre alloy catchtank which will be sighted on the top cruciform where the apollo normally goes (cannot fit on the bulkhead as the twin coil wasted spark will be going in front of the heater).

What options for breathing have I got, can I

1.run a feed from the DS tower to the cam cover then take another feed out from the cam cover to the catchtank?

2. run a feed from the DS tower direct to the catchtank and also a feed from the cam cover and block the other cam cover vent off?

3. as 2 but instead of blocking of the remaining vent run it into the filter backplate?

any advice greatly appreciated as I would like to order up the necessary lengths of pipe etc.

Phil S7SVN

Thanks Stuart, is it not necessary to allow any kind of engine breathing then, my wet sump used to have a feed from the cam cover to the air filter backplate, the other one was blocked off.

Phil S7SVN

I've seen set ups 1 and 2 above in action, as well as 4. All seemed to work ok. There are various views on whether running the engine in a vacuum as per 4 is a good idea, as it can stress external seals and affect oil scavenging. Though others say oil scavenging (from the head, that is) is improved with the engine in vacuum. I don't think there is a "right" answer...

There is also option 5, or perhaps it should be called 2a. This is: pipe from tank tower to catch tank, filter (like a mini K&N) on one of the cam cover vents, block off the other cam cover vent. This is because the cam cover vents tend to suck rather than blow.

Edited by - Nick Green on 12 Jan 2005 10:05:40