Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Idler wheel for K-series dry sump belt?

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

Cheers Steve,

The Caterham D/S setup uses the power steering pump bracket, which incorporates a tensioner wheel (manually adjusted, no spring). My wheel has a chunk missing from the outer section therefore needs renewing.

Stu.

I've seen 3 different types of these now. There's the manual and sprung tensioner type and then lately another type of sprung tensioner with a different wheel. My wheel has no recess for the belt, but the newer one does. Looks "safer" IYSWIM.

I'd go for the auto tensioner if I were you. On a toothed wheel, it makes sense to go for a manual tensioner but poly-v belts are supposed to self tension to a point so you'll want something which can react to the changes in tension. The spring on the auto tensioner is bloody strong and gives you the opportunity to implement a belt-off warning light (pics available).

The whole tensioner assy is from the PAS system I believe. I can probably confirm that if in doubt.

• Leadership Team

Thanks Nig - you're leading me down a whole new thought process!

I have the power steering pump bracket, which came complete with a 3 bolt plate assembly that mounts the manual tensioner. What alternative bits do I need to run an auto-tensioner?

Stu.