Click here if you are having website access problems ×

fitting avo's

C7JFM

I ve just bought some height adjustable Avo shocks for my live axle classic. Contemplating whether to fit and set up the car myself or pay someone to do it for me. Any tips out there ? Is it easy or do i need a spring compressor etc etc. I enjoy a challenge but am a novice mechanic.

Its easy to fit yourself. You shouldn't need a spring compressor, if the platforms have already been put together, with the springs on them.

To fit, takes about 1.5 hour for the front, and 1 hour for the rears.

All you will need, is a jack and some axle stands.

Robert

Chris, I've fitted AVO's to my De-Dion 7 and found the straight forward. If you are removing the springs from your old shocks then you will probably need a compressor to remove them. Re-fitting them shouldn't be a problem as you have adjustable platforms.

It took me a couple of hours to do mine and was quite easy. I've still got to get the car corner weighted at some point but for now I just made sure that I have the same number of turns on the platforms.

Have Fun!!

Gareth

Only if they are too long, at rest, to get the spring seat onto the thread.

Oh hang on - sorry, you'll need them to get the springs off in the first place... Doh!

I've had Avo's for ages now - I think I had to enlarge the bodywork cut-outs (ten year old car) to accomodate the larger diameter springs at full droop.

Be careful with the spring compressors - have heard they can slip and you can get hurt - but have also heard of people using three and tying them together with ty-raps. Haven't tried this though - I had shorter springs which avoided the issue. Comments, anyone?

(On the safety angle - we touched on spring removal on a recent thread about fitting FIA bar - we discussed deDion there, but I think the principle of 'nightmare to avoid' is similar; (do you jack up a live axle car by the diff?) )

Edited by - tony pashley on 10 Sep 2001 15:45:09