Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Is the clutch disengaging?

RodW

My new 1.8 K Roadsport now has an engine running correctly and to temperature. However, it does not want to engage gear while the engine is running. It idles in neutral fine, but is very hard to engage a gear; very, very baulky and I don't want to force it. Reverse almost seems to engage but on the final movement of the lever makes a terrible graunching noise as if I were trying to engage without depressing the clutch. Oddly enough if I engage first after some jiggling and then depress clutch the car will start and then move forward, although biting point is very high. Have tried adjusting clutch as per build manual, but to no avail. The whole cable seems slack at whatever extreme of adjustment. Wonder if clutch is not moving freely - it was delivered assembled and goodness knows how long it has been stored at Caterham.

RGW

No matter how you adjust it, the cable will be slack as the pedal is not under any significant pressure when your foot isn't on it. The bite point is again not really adjustable. It will always be towards the top end of the pedals movement. You can only adjust the pedal's resting position. If you keep tightening the cable, the pedal will get higher and higher.

The reverse gear thing is not unusual for a Seven and happens less if you don't rev the engine.

With respect to first gear, it sounds to me like you have a problem with the Synchro's in your box rather than a clutch problem. It might settle with some running in but if it doesn't, I guess you'd better get someone to look at it. (I'm assuming it's under warrenty).

You might have a bit of clutch drag or it might be seized.

Engine off, engage gear.

Clutch down, turn starter.

The shock may unstick the clutch. A bit of running will clean up the friction surfaces. Storage humidity might mean there has been the slightest skim of rust on the clutch plate/flywheel, but isn't abnormal. Use it as God intended and it will be running sweetly in not time.