Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series cam belts

Lucky Steve

I bought my 1995 1400 k-series (cooking version)in June. It has done just 15,000 road miles (no track use so far as I am aware), but there is no record of a cam-belt change. Can anyone tell me when this is due? I am no engineer but I know enough to know that the consequences of putting this off can be disasterous. However, can anyone give me some advice as to

a) when they should be changed - miles and years

b) how much I should expect to have to pay

c) whether a Rover dealer would be an economic option for my 'cooking model'

d) anything else worth knowing? What do other k-series drivers do?

e) if it is overdue, is there any data available on failures - just what sort of risk am I running - do I panic, stope driving the car and get it done next week or could it reasonably wait until the next service (next year)? (NB - not trying to find someone to blame/sue if I get it wrong, just trying to make an informed decision)

Thanks

Lucky (well, so they say) Steve

A lot will depend on how the car has been maintained/driven etc.

The Haynes book on the 'Rover 214 & 414' (Haynes 1689) says inspection req. at 48000 miles or 4 years. As our engines are given a 'bit-more-stick' than the std. road cars I would suggest a bit more often.I changed mine at 38000 miles (when I bought it) to be on the safe side.

Yours is a '95 car so qualifies on the age rule! It's fairly easy to do and the motor trade have lived off the breakages from the introduction of belts rather than chains for a long while now !!!

If there is ever a fluid leak (say from the water pump front bearing), then change it after rectifying the fault!

Piper Cams sell a 'competition' belt for the 'K' which is slightly wider.

It costs about 31 UKP.