Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How important is......Anti-Cav

mav

Do I really need an Anti-cav tank for my car?

I only ask following the article in this months LF.

I have a 1.6ss.

If the said item is recommended does anyony know where in the NW i can get it fitted (Kendrick Motors etc?). Is there an alternative (or cheaper) option to that offered by Caterham or is 'their' item the best one to choose??

Comments asap as time is running out

Regards,

Martin

Mav.

Here goes for what it's worth.

It really depends on what use you intend your car to be put to. Normal road use and it's probably overkill, but if a track day or two is on the cards then, yes, fit an Apollo tank. In saying that,I don't intend any track days but am still going to fit one to my modded 'K' as this engine type DOES NOT like aerated oil in the hyd. followers, but worse still around number one big end!!!!

I hear that (some) R500 owners are fitting these tanks, but for use as extra oil storage capacity rather than its intended use.

The Apollo tank is an excellent piece of appropriate technology. In combination wiht a dry sump, it is the belt for when the braces snap. When it comes into use it will perform the same oil/air separation function to good effect.

Chris is right that for track use it should be considered the minimum requirment for the k-series.

Jan,

I'll be ordering the tank thisa week with a view to it being fitted by my local service agent (Not going to Ryders).

Great news on the bar situation. - we'll be seeing each other at Snetterton then!!

Regards,

Martin

teeth.gifthumbsup.gif

Hi Mav

I've just fitted a Anti Cav tank to my superlight and found it a very straight forward installation.......Only thing is the oil changes are going to be expensive!

Even on the road I'd, from time to time, experience a rather worrying rattle from the engine through fast corners.

I think they should be fitted as standard to all K's.

£200 isn't much in the grand scheme of things if its going to save your engine!

PS thanks to those who mailed me the digital pics as the Caterham supplied intructions were sad.....when will they sort themselves out

What can I say?...........Caterham might well be happy to put out crap and even make fun of it as with your experience Chris.look what happened to Ratner...............they should be more proffessional in EVERY detail............it will be their down fall!

Brad..thought you didn't need an oil cooler with an anti cav unit?..........maybe I'm not pushing hard enough on the track although my ACB10's indicate otherwise!

Hmmmm.

R500s need oil coolers, but they have a lot of reject heat.

IME, the Apollo tank installation does give rise to high oil temperatures:

1. because it includes a temperature sensor so you can measure them

2. because crank windage sinks a lot of heat into the oil

I think of it this way. The makers of dry sump systems claim that reduced windage sees you getting extra power out of the engine. This power is normally being sunk into the oil, so it is viable that the oil temps with a wet sump will be higher than with a dry sump.

My engine doesn't currently run an oil cooler but I am pretty sure it will need one on track. I also suspect that the electric water pump is a very good idea for preventing hot spots on shut down.

as always take anything that is said int he manual with a pinch of salt

as I do not currently have an oil temp gauge I am expecting no problems int his area ;-)

Peter - on a related topic - did you ever sort out your sensor to detect dry sump belt failure?

Rob

No14 - I needed an oil cooler on a 1.6 SS as oil temps were getting up to 110 on hot track days.

After an engine upgrade it really required an oil cooler as the temps went higher faster.

T 1 PPB - Superlight

"Well yes officer I'm not arguing, it's just that [insert excuse here]..."