Click here if you are having website access problems ×

late xmas pressie - tool kit

marty_10dollar

Hi guys, hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year.

One of the things my garage is missing is a good tool kit/set that includes the right collection of socket set bits, spanners plus other gubbins for doing most things on a seven. I'm going to ask my wife for this for xmas, but could anyone here suggest a good set and where to buy it? Halfrods is clearly the easiest option, but I'm not sure quite how much you need to spend to get something #useful# [1].

Hope someone can help!

Cheers

Martin

[1]Where useful means I won't need to constantly go out and buy extra bits all the time :)

• Support Team

Most people are extremely happy with the Halfords Professional range - I received a 3/8" and 1/4" drive set with some ratchet spanners as a Christmas present and am very pleased. During my rebuild I have been buying Halfords Pro stuff when required. They have a lifetime guarantee as well so should anything break you get it replaced for free.

For a K-series car you will need a full set of metric and imperial sockets and spanners. Basically everything related to the chassis is imperial and all the engine stuff is metric. No idea what the Xflow and VX engines use.

Something like this should get you going - you'd need to add a set of imperial combination spanners to this.

You'll need metric and imperial allen keys. I have bought 1/2" drive allen keys as well - makes it a lot easier if you can use a ratchet. 1/2" drive might be overkill though and you can get them in 3/8" drive too.

A few decent screwdrivers including stubbies, a couple of pairs of pliers plus circlip pliers should complete the collection.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

HF gear is OK, I've used it and it's nice. Also good is "Taskmaster", a brand from Partco, the motor factors. This is pro quality gear but at less than Snapon prices. Draper Pro is very similar (identical?) to HF pro, and well worth buying.

Essentially if you want it all in one big box then the Halfords kit seems a very good buy. I did see an ad in a car mag over Xmas - Clarke or Machine Mart are doing a car mechanic kit, Sealey brand, at a very fair price. It seemed very comprehensive and again I don't think you'd go wrong with the quality.

I may stand to be corrected but it seems that these days midpriced tools are extremely high quality, compared to those of the past and unless you really need to take out a mortgage on Snapon or Britool and use them 50 hours a week, I can't see the point.