Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Trunnion Mystery...

Tony

Some time ago I posted a problem on the subject of trunnion lubrication on my '96 Sprint. I was using the fluid-tight grease gun (supllied by James Whiting) but the lubricant I was trying to use (Wynn's Engine Oil Additive - nice and thick) just squirted out from around the nipple. Tried again with EP90 - same result.

I was advised that the grease gun might not be 'snapping on' to the nipple, so I resolved to purchase a better gun at some stage, and try again.

..long months passed...started worrying about the trunnies again...

I finally bought a nice grease gun with flexible nozzle etc. Clips on a treat. Concerned that gun might not be oil-tight, I devised a new cocktail of 50:50 Wynns and grease. Consistency of 3 day old wallpaper paste.

Guess what? It still won't go in. Squirts out from between 'clipped on' grease gun end and nipple. What is a boy to do? The only good news is the steering is smooth, so the trunnions don't give the impressiion of being dry.

Can somebody please help before I develop an unhealthy trunnion obsession?

Now Tony the last thing that is needed is someone with a trunnion obsessive disorder so try the following. Remove each nipple and then try the gun on each. If this does not work then my thoughts are that the trunnions inards etc are caked in gone off grease and need to be dismantled. Not a major job and if you can wind your way down to Bury I'll give you a hand. Failing that have you got a copy of the TW book. If not give me your fax number and i'll sort out the relevant pages of that and the handbook.

Hi John

As ever you have come to my assistance!

I'll try it with the nipples off, to see if they are blocked, but last time the trunnions were done was by Chris Wheeler and I'm pretty sure he used EP90, so shouldn't be caked grease. Can you please let me have your email address again as I've had a mass tidy up of my inbox and think I've lost it.

I can see a trip to Bury coming on...

Cheers

Tony

Trunnions... EP90... GT6... ah yes it's all coming back to me now and indeed my EP90 greasegun is still up on top of the kitchen cupboards (Cambridge way).

I think JohnE is on the right lines. Perhaps the nipples themselves are blocked? Try a new one? AFAICR the trunnions should really be fitted with a blanking plug between fillings. It might be worth dismanting one (upright and trunnion) to see what state they're in. Fitting a new bush kit is cheap and easy. I've had a trunnion collapse (GT6) and don't recommend it!

Aideen

An old trick for worn nipples that allow grease out is to first place an old rag ,something like a hanky thickness, over the nipple then push the grease gun on,over the rag.The grease or oil will pump through, and the rag will make the fit tight enough to stop the oil squirting out of the joint.

Rae

There's nothing I like more than oiling my trunnions on a Sunday morning.....but all this talk of grease and wynns is unsettling me.

I have always used EP90 fed from a James Whiting "oil" gun.

Seems to go in OK and is not "too" messy once you master the technique

Am I doing it right?

Answers on a postcard...

Steve

cool.gifScream...if you want to go faster!!!id=limegreen> cool.gif