Click here if you are having website access problems ×

For Xflow freaks, Polished Con rods for Xflow engine

Bemeco

Helo

Just for Xflow freaks!!!

Many hours later Results. Please view

http://community.webshots.com/user/bemeco

575grams weight left Cosworth bolts included.

I am going to use Accralites + these Conrods totaly nearly 300grams lighter then Hepolites and standard con rods.

/ Bengt Metz

Bengt Metz

+4640546729

bengt.metz@tele2.se

Edited by - bemeco on 4 Jan 2005 16:26:08

Bengt

Polishing removes stress/crack raisers but actualy removes the outer surface, which is in itself very tough layer and is a significant amount of strength of the rod. Shot peening compresses the outer surface restoring this hard layer and therefore strength. It's not an either or. Everytime I've hard components polished as yours previously I've hard them shot peened afterwards.

Cheers

Chris

Shot peening and polishing are not related in anyway concerning strengthening of cast components.

The only advantage of polishing a standard cast item is the removal of the 'Flashing' this is where the mould was seperated, the only good practice here is to remove the flashing as it is prone to flaking/breaking off and contaminating the engine.

Actually polishing the rods will indeed have caused a big discreptancy in the harmonic balance of the rods from end to end, and in all being the same, this is unless you have had them balanced after.

If a minute stress fracture is pressent in the material structure then it makes no differance in how shiny you make the rods, as the failure can be internal which will only be seen with ultrasonic/ UV dye equipment. Several arguements have arisen over whether polishing the surface increases the succepability of hairline fractures as the smooth surface offers no resistance to creaping cracks, whereas a mottled surface does to some extent. *thumbup*

Support the 7 Society...... Ehhh?