Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Updated VVC Website

Tom White

I have just finished an update of my website which covers wiring, schematics etc for my 1999 VVC.

I have added some typical waveforms for MAP, Crank Angle Sensor, Cam Phase Sensor, Lambda, ATS which I measured using a Fluke Oscilloscope.

I have also added a general description, location and functional for sensors and control units (Idle,Purge etc).

The site is also a bit easier to navigate with drop down menues etc.

You can find it here

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated *thumbup* or *thumbdown*

Tom,

Having spent some considerable time chasing down wiring issues for my new engine-build, I can sympathise with the amount of work that you've put into this project. *thumbup*

My initial thoughts are that the photos could do with an update - some of the pictures of the sensors are out of focus and are taken from one-angle only.

Some of the images are also a bit small (e.g. here). What I do on my site is to use a feature in MS Frontpage 2000 that creates a thumbnail of each image (about the size of your oil-temp sensor picture), but which then acts as a link to a larger-scale image. This saves download time (if you are not interested in the image) but allows people a closer look if necessary - even if your web sw doesn't have this feature built-in, it's easy enough to do manually).

I've also noticed that you've reused the same image for the OT sensor and the VVC actuator mechanism - in some cases, it can be difficult to work out exactly what you are supposed to be looking at. Personally, I use MS Paint in these circumstances and add a bold arrow to the final image (do this after any scaling etc. otherwise the arrows, text-boxes etc. tend to look rather jagged.) The throttle-pot sensor pic is a case in point - *I* know what I'm looking for - but you've also got the IAT sensor in the pic.

Take a look at one of my pages here for examples of what I'm on about - these days I use larger thumbnails, but you'll get the idea *wink*

All-in-all, a useful site. Keep it up

*thumbup*

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Myles,

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments, I will look at using thumbnails.

I agree that some of my photos could be sharper, its mainly due to my ineptitude with the digital camera *confused*. Over the Christmas break however, I discovered what the point focus and Macro controls are for and will be replacing the photos that are not sharp.

I am currently stripping and cleaning the tappets on my VVC and will add pictures on this procedure.

Steve and Se7en_Up! thanks for your comments.

Tom

Tom,

Excellent!!!!

I wish I had known about your site shortly after I got my car because the VVC unit developed a fault which would have been much easier to resolve had I seen your site.

Any chance that in the next update some of the photos could have little arrows for those of us who are machanically challenged (Read "really stupid!!")

Simon S

S5 SVN

*mad*Cleaning cr@p off my right sleeve *mad*

Simon,

OK,I will stick some arrows in *eek* for clarity.

Mark,

I have a big problem here as I have tested the site with IE and Netscape, but have no means to test on an Apple/Safari platform. The problem is almost certainly due to the drop down menus, which are a Java routine, the other point is that the url's called are "absolute" ie the whole url address is used instead of relative addresses.

Thanks for the input, I will try to find someone locally with a MAC

Tom

Bernard,

The site isn't really intended to assist you in tuning a VVC, it is more for information on wiring, fault finding and descriptions on the functionality of sensors.

On the tuning side, I can recommend the K06a tuning package from DVA Power, I went this route last winter and am very happy with the results ( I sent Dave Andrews my VVC head which he ported and sent it back).

I will be adding info on/pictures on how to remove the engine, partial strip down and how to remove the Cam carrier without causing problems with the VVC mech.

Tom

PS Simon/ Myles I have changed the out of focus pics and added some arrows and sensor outline highlights.

• 2 weeks later...

hi Tom , thanks for the info on DVA package

also very nice site , and thank to improved it for the "really stupid"

but l was not clear enough in my previous mess. :

doyou realy think and check BEFORE AFTER if the modifications most of you do increase REALLY the torque and/or HP = any speed at any moments ?

or is it psychological ? *confused* l know l am being cynical may be 🤔

Hi Bernard,

No I didn't measure (Rolling Road etc.) before and after the DVA mod, so its only my perception of the cars performance. What I notice is that it definitely has more power and a lot more torque above 4000 RPM. The engine pulls all the way up to the limiter where as before the modification the VVC motor would not give me much above 5500 RPM. I have been on the race track a couple of times and am sure that its a big improvement.

As for the ECU I have retained the MEMS, but am thinking about changing to an Emerald. If you are looking for comparisons between the earlier and later (EU2 and EU3) VVC I would suggest you contact Dave Andrews he will point you in the right direction.

Tom

• 5 weeks later...

Tom,

We've just finished working out the spaghetti that is the 2003 Trophy 160 VVC wiring loom etc and wouldn't mind swapping notes or adding to your valuable site! It looks like we're one step ahead of caterham as they are using the old VVC ecu with the newer engines that they put in the R300 - they use an older loom as a result.... We've also managed to use the MG fusebox and relay box rather than the caterham ones as they provided easier access etc! (Including making the indicator lamps flash when the alarm is set etc).

OK thats fine by me.

In what format have you got the info?

I am currently reworking the home page in order to add some other stuff such as links and proceedures for removing and stripping down the engine so I could add any info quite easily and integrate it into the existing site navigation or if you want to do your own site I would be happy to link to it.

Tom