Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to fit an oil pressure light

julians

We can supply a range of switches. I would recommend that the light comes on below around 30psi. A standard road car light will typically come on below 4psi, but this is of no use at all if you are on track - it will merely serve to confirm that your engine is totally knackered!

A light at 30psi will give some advance warning of impending doom and may prevent major damage. The disadvantage is that it will probably come on at idle and low revs.

I don't know which engine you have, but the place to fit the sender will vary according to type. Sometimes they will screw straight in and sometimes you will need to tap a hole. Fitting the light itself needs nothing more than a 12v light (size and brightness to suit your needs) and a live feed.

DEFINITELY WORTH DOING THOUGH.

My set-up on an 1800 zetec, FWIW has a 30PSI switch, on a Tpiece (the other branch feeding the oil pressure guage)fitted to a threaded boss installed in the engine block. This was as fitted to the original xflow, i.e. swoped straight over. Bits originally bought from Merlin Motorsport at Castle Coombe - no idea now on price.

Regards

allen

I have a 36psi switch wired in and big 35w bulb in a dome light on the tranny tunnel in the shade so it can be seen )lights up the whole footwell! Don't think you will see a dash mounted light in the heat of the moment in full sunlight on the track...you won't.

I can't remember if Roger K or Think Automotive supplied the switch.

On my HPC it simply goes in a convienient oil source near the oil filter.

The VX lump has two handy allen key bolt bunged sources.

My motor never lights the bulb even on tickover unless you attempt to stall the engine.

Julian,

I fear I am ever so unfashionable, or do I mean old fashioned? I have a set of 185x13 Goodyear NCT2s that just will not wear out!

I corner as hard a possible on the public road (been known to go round roundabouts twice, just for the hell of it), but no track days.

Warning light has never (thank goodness) come on except when engine is set to a low idle and is also very warm.

Sump is a home grown modification to the original 1800cc alloy item. (I have a tame aluminium welder who still owes me a favour)I have been thinking of having about 20 mil removed to improve ground-clearance.

Regards

allen