Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Isn't the news dreadful this morning

Hibster.

Really really bad news but not really a surprise though. I just hope the emergancy services can cope with the aftermath.

I was Bandung for a couple of months in 2000 and ten people were killed in an eathquake while I was there.

We are very comfy up here in the Uk and can easily forget how destructive (in human terms) and how dynamic this planet can be.]

Annoying that they in the news keep calling it a tidal wave too - no more tidal than my bathwater.

Alex

S713UMY

1.8K Viper Blue and Spandex

Edited by - abirtwisle on 26 Dec 2004 16:37:43

Tis a strange coincidence that this earthquake should happen when it did.

Over Christmas dinner yesterday evening the conversation with my parents drifted onto family history (one of their great passions of many many years). They were telling me of some local parish records dating from 1815 and 1816 that document odd climatic effects such as frost in june and the like.

They asked me if I knew of any events that would and could have caused such things. Obviously they were refering to the Tambora eruption (again in Indonesia) in which the best part of 90 000 people were killed in April 1815. Converstaion then dirfted to Krakatau (an eruption that took the life of one of my relatives in 1883) and other large catastrophic events that had happend in recent years.

Strange to wake up to todays top news headline.

Alex

[sad git geographer mode]

Eric, to those in the know they have always been Tsunami.

Tidal waves are things like the Seven Bore (not to be confused with a member of the South Wales area meet...), which are cause by high tides and shaping of the coast funneling water, and so creating a large fast moving wave up the river.

Tsunamis are huge waves caused by mass movements (ie landslides, earthquakes) rather than tides funneling water.

[/sat git mode]

Hope that clears it up! *thumbup* *thumbup* 😬 😬 😬

I've no problem with using the word Tsunami as it does differetiate the phenomenon from a true "tidal wave". It's just that the word didn't come into common useage until fairly recently. As a matter of intereest, in the 1968 movie "Krakatoa - East of Java" was the word tsunami used even once?

And I note that Krakatoa is nowalways spelled as Krakatau. I can't keep up.