Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 Stack Instrument Options

Richard Anderson

I believe the R500 unit from Caterham only has the basics. Speed, fuel, temperatures etc. Not sure if it has lap times. I doubt that has predictive lap timing (however this can be added).

To have all of the data logging options you need the extra data logger (approx. £1500). Have a look at the stack web site Stack Ltd

To install the Stack dash you need part of your scuttle changed. This is to actually fit the stack without fowling the chassis. Not sure if cars come with this now? Arch will be able to do the work, but again not a cheap option.

I run the Stack 8102SP(Driver) Plus setup, with extra logging memory. This has the predictive lap timer (very useful) and max/min corner speed readouts (too much information). It can log for ~2 hours non-stop so I usually get all of a trackday into memory and analyse after the event.

It doesn't have the steering and throttle logging and it is a big price jump to get that because you then need a separate logging box. I am very tempted nonetheless as the throttle and steering are the biggest telltales for handling issues.

I am very impressed with the unit having used it for two years now - it was reasonably easy and cost effective to get the tacho upgraded to 10,000 rpm as well when I changed engines.

Peter, how much was your stack. I will probably change my standard caterham rev counter for something a little more reliable (as mine keeps bouncing around, I think the damping has broken), and I rather fancied having something witha few more features.

The Data on the R500 site comes from my cars. I have Level 3 systems in my cars. You need to add the price of a Stack dask onto the prices below.

These prices were supplied to me about 5 months ago by Mark Owen at Stack (01869) 240404

In my opinion fitting a Stack system and having some instruction is one of the best upgrades after the basics have been sorted.( Suspension/Tyres). A level 2 system that draws Track maps is probably the minimum for Data Logging. However, the basic dask with lap timing/Predictive lap timing and lap time memory is a very good way to start.

I have data for most of the UK tracks for my Superlight and R500. For a £25 donation to Nuke the Luke I would put it on a CD for anyone with Stack software.(Windows version)

Information previously supplied by Stack follows:-

Here is a list of the R500 lap timing and datalogging options.

Lap Timing Racer price

Lap Time Receiver £170.00

Lap Time Beacon £150.00

Lap Time System £270.00

Predictive Lap Timing

Upgrade to include Predictive lap timing on dashboard £450.00

Data Logging Upgrades

Level 1 system

Records...

speed

RPM

water temperature

oil pressure

oil temperature

fuel pressure

battery voltage

lap times/ run times

distance

longitudinal acceleration

Includes...

External recorder module

Network harness

PC download interface

Software - including pre-defined Hill Climb track maps for British Hill Climb Championship rounds.

Recommended Racer Price £1298.00

Level 2 system

Records...

speed

RPM

water temperature

oil pressure

oil temperature

fuel pressure

battery voltage

lap times/ run times

distance

lateral acceleration

track maps

Includes...

External Sensor interface-recorder module

Sensor harness

G sensor

Network harness

PC download interface

Software - Track Map capable software and includes pre-defined Hill Climb track maps for British Hill Climb Championship rounds.

Recommended Racer Price £1748.00

Level 3 system

Records...

speed

RPM

water temperature

oil pressure

oil temperature

fuel pressure

battery voltage

lap times/ run times

distance

lateral acceleration

track maps

throttle position

steering position

Includes...

External Sensor interface-recorder module

Sensor harness

G sensor

Throttle sensor

Steering angle sensor

Network harness

PC download interface

Software - Track Map capable software and includes pre-defined Hill Climb track maps for British Hill Climb Championship rounds.

Recommended Racer Price £2198.00

Please bear in mind that the datalogging upgrades do not include lap timing or predictive lap options as standard.

The data logging prices are based on Stack having technical support responsibility for the product.

from a pure instrument readout point of view, I don't like the Stack. It's a real pain to have to cycle between displays to look at oil and water temp for example. I would much rather have sep instruments for those readouts and use the stack for the performance things, predictive lap doodah, lap times, max speeds etc.

Graham

have you had a look at the Motec dash? Its now backlit and if you run a Motec ECU it will connect directly to share information.

As with the Stack it has all of the goodies available as extras, depending on how deep your pockets are.

Pricing "should" be ok seeing as our Aus dollar is worth around a 1/3 of your pound.

Richard

Or you could look at the simpler Stack ST500 unit. It fits in the standard Tacho/speedo hole so no mods to te dash are required. can have lap time and corner speeds but not full logging. I think they look better in a 7 as well.

Matt

Is it a bike? Is it a car? No it's Blackbirdman cool.gif

I don't use the shiftlight on the Stack unit so I don't know if it works or not. My DTA box has a shift light output that I use. The condensation seems to be common, I sent my first unit back for sealing and it got smashed up in the post, I don't fancy chancing sending thr new one!

One trick I have done is to put a changover switch on the oil pressure input to select oil or fuel pressure as my Stack unit doesn't do fuel pressure.

Martin

To use data logging properly you do need a beacon. At Track Days beacons are most definitely not allowed (well, when seen). The tracks make even more money out of real testing, so do want people doing in on the side. Hint: The beacon doesn't have to be on the pit wall, you could accidentally leave it somewhere else.

However, the stack system the I use (old DOS software) can download data and work out what to do with it if you already have the track map there. It's doesn't always work, but most of the time its okay.

Having said this, the Stack system has a button that you can use to perform lap times. The only problem is remembering to press it every lap at the same place.

IME, you don't have time to do very much download and analysis at a trackday if you are running everything on your own.

I tend to download everything after the event and reconstruct lap markers that I missed with the button based on a characteristic in the logs (usually the inflexion in the lateral G from a chicane, where the plot is unlikely to be more than a metre or two out.

It is important to annotate the logs as soon as possible so that the numbers correlate with what you experienced on track - traffic, track temperature, damp surface, passenger etc. You then have until the next track day at the same venue to mull over what was and wasn't working.

If you remember to keep pressing the button, the Stack predictive lap time feature gives you 90% of what you want in front of you during the session itself. thumbsup.gif This is why I have the lap marker button mounted on the steering wheel.

Don't attempt to press the button in a corner or during a gear change thumbsdown.gif. Start/finish lines are usually on a straight and you have plenty of time to consider just when you are going to hit the button. If you get it wrong, one lap will appear in the log as a shorter distance than the next one and it is fairly easy to sense check.

You're asking for trouble having a hidden lap beacon on a trackday, you're invalidating their public liability insurance, and if you get found out you almost certainly going to get thrown out.

And besides if you're going round like you're in a race, ie not waiting for consent before overtaking, overtaking in the braking zones/on corners/on the wrong side. You're putting other people at risk, I wouldnt be impressed if you crashed into the back of me because I hadnt noticed you were overtaking me.

I'm not suggesting that you use Track Days like a real test session. Meerly that the data collected can be usefull, and a beacon helps. Personally I have never put a beacon out when track daying, however it is suprising the number of times my stack suddenly springs into life and gives me lap times.

i agree totally with the points made on saftey...to the extent that they are so obvious to most people here that i didn't bother making them...

i was merely wondering whether ther was any (low key) quantitiative way of measuring improvement and development of driving skills on track in the environment of a track day.

rather disappointing that the thought police are out in force here too.

• 2 weeks later...