Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CR500's

Durawest

Durawest-sound about right-wear rate goes up massively if you are pushing it on the track-certainly don't get anymore than 1k from 500's. The wear rate of 20 for the 500's indicates that you would get 20% of the life when compared to a standard road tyre ( which would say be good for 30,000)

MikeW

Mega Grad

Very interesting. I currently run 32rs- after pileups - and the difference is staggering.Even in the wet, and despite the evil reputation , I've found them progressive and confidence inspiring.The 'but ' is wear rate- fronts have lasted 5k but rears sha**ed after less than 3k and I am a fairly pedestrian driver by many other 7eveners standards.They aren't cheap on the 15 inch wheels I have.I was thinking about getting another set of wheels for everday use and keeping the 32rs for trackdays etc but then struggled to decide what tyres to use - I guess 21s would have been an obvious candidate because there do not seem to be any(?) conventional tyres- toyos etc- which I would have been comfortable with. But in view of above posts it sounds like the £arm and leg the 500s would cost will be outweighed by the durability.And they do look good ...

I got about 3500 miles including 1 airfield day (equivalent to 5 track days!) and 6 track days from my first set of CR500.

The second set are upto 4500 miles including 5 track days.

MUST ADD ........ out of 12 track days in the year 9 were damp or cold, the 1 very hot day at Brands really started to tear the tyres up.

R400 .......... I love it

I will be starting my 6th set of 500's next week (also one set of Bridgestone 720's) after 36 track days and 31,500 miles. Which works out about 4,500 road miles and 5 track days a set. I have been known to run them till they are very bald to get all my moneys worth.

Despite following various links I can't find a current price for 500s- any one bought any 15" ones recently ? I am more interested in this than my job at the moment as I volunteered to mind the shop til 4-30 and it's like the Marie Celeste.This will now be the cue for somebody to ring me for some urgent legal advice. Yawn.

Checking the Avon link on AlanB's post, I see that the 195/45 R15 CR500 is no longer listed ☹️

I thought that this is THE tyre for the Caterham 15xJ6.5 wheels *confused* Have I missed something,what's the alternative 🤔

Large viperblue/yellow 1.6 S/S

My Caterham 15" rims are 6.5".

Certainly for the SV, wider rubber looks better, but there are lots of Superlights out there that have the same rims *confused*

Avon Racing are closed until Tuesday, when I shall give them a call.

Large viperblue/yellow 1.6 S/S

Edited by - adrain on 29 Dec 2004 15:35:32