Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Apollo Tank

pinstripe pete

As well as the 12,00 mile service at the factory CC have also fitted an Apollo tank for me. I know the basic principles involved (ie separating air from oil at high revs). I picked up the car late this afternoon and had to shoot off straight away before they could explain the layout/maintenance etc.

Essentially, what do I need to know? How do I refill, check levels, what do I need to watch out for etc?

Many thanks!

Watch out for leaks, particularly around the sandwich plate (near the oil filter)

When you come to change the oil in the future, make sure yo ubuy twice as much! Your oil capacity is now around 7 half litres 😳 (weight saving - pah!)

Have a good Christmas Pete *smile*

Big update!

here

77,777miles in 3 years

• Support Team

Oh and when you change the oil remember to drain the Apollo as well - there is a plug in the bottom which you need to remove to get another litre or so of oil out of. Be careful when loosening or tightening any fixings as the walls of the Apollo are pretty thin and you could bend it. Other than that everything is as normal.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

For Sale: chrome headlights, sill protectors

Edited by - Shaun_E on 22 Dec 2004 19:21:33

Erm, take a look here - particularly at the Oil Change Part 1 section.

The important point here (that hasn't yet been mentioned) is that the Apollo tank is made from pretty-thin ali. You'll need a 32mm (IIRC) bike 'pedal' spanner to grip the flats on the base of the Apollo when you try to undo the drain-plug (which is magnetic, by the way) - if you just try to undo the plug (10mm Allen-key) by grasping the sides of the tank, you can end up creasing the panelling or doing some other damage.

You'll need the 'bike' spanner, as they are usually nice and thin...

Oh, and depending on where they've mounted it, you'll probably find it hard to drain without spilling loads on the floor - it's too close to various structural bits to get my drain-pan close-enough. I'll cut down a funnel next time....

...and don't forget your OP will probably be slightly-lower than before, and it may appear to take longer to get OP up on a cold-start. Nothing to worry about, TADTS.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

or the kit is about £200.

Fitting isn't hard, just fiddley. I'm pretty much a mechanical numpty but I manged to do it in the end and it is oil tight after 3000 miles or so and three tracks days. You could do it in a day if you don't drill the hole in the cam cover in the wrong place and have to get a longer top hose like I did!!

Unfortunately fitting can be fiddly depending on the car. On mine we had to remove some of the alternator housing to ensure the apollo filler was in line with the oil filter.

As aforementioned - if they are not fitted on straight, they will leak.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1400 Supersport with 6 gears and clamshell wings *smile*