Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Problems - Part 1 (Clutch identity)

Griff

Engine now out and my dragging clutch problems are pretty obvious - broken clutch release fork and cracked pressure plate housing! Now I need to identify the bits and would appreciate assistance with this plus comments on any worthwhile upgrades whilst I'm about it.

Pressure Plate Number AP-LCO 3HD035A (do they usually fail/crack? which replacement?)

Friction Plate Number AP-LC 04DW 024A (50% worn, which replacement?)

CR Bearing PA66 GF35 (is this a std Rovery part?)

CR Fork (is this a Rover or Caterham item? stronger unit available?)

Gearbox is 6-speed, engine is dry sumped VHPD and the flywheel is heavily lightened *confused*

Cheers,

Mike

It's not pink, it's medium red violet... 😬

The fork is Caterham's own... made for the dry sump, though I believe the new model is stronger. Caterham will supply clutch parts as well.

Trust race is Ford, not Rover, as the series 9 gearbox is a Ford part and the Caterham six speed follows that logic - Catherham again will stock the part.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

The fork is Caterham's own... made for the dry sump, though I believe the new model is stronger. Caterham will supply clutch parts as well.

Trust race is Ford, not Rover, as the series 9 gearbox is a Ford part and the Caterham six speed follows that logic - Catherham again will stock the part.

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

Griff,

It's unusual for the clutch cover to fail, although it will do if the clutch fork becomes broken/detached and puts an uneven load on the cover fingers which in turn unevenly loads the friction plate which will then fail. This happened to an engine I saw earlier this year where the clutch fork detached.

Sounds like your clutch plate and cover are AP.

Paul

Yep, I've never seen a clutch fail like this before either! The pressed metal housing of the cover plate is completely split near a small witness mark presumably from the bits of the fork when that broke.

The end of the fork where it pivots on the pin near the bottom of the bellhousing has broken in two, leaving only one "prong" - no sign of the other, but it looks like fatigue rather than overload which isn't clever!

It's not pink, it's medium red violet... 😬