Click here if you are having website access problems ×

storage & temparature

cloverleaf

Couple of rookie questions:

1. haven't got a garage so the pride and joy is currently sitting under an outdoor car cover. I've noticed that condensation forms on the paintwork when it gets cold. Is this a problem and does anyone have any ideas how to sort it out?

2. the temperature guage settles in the mid to high nineties once the engine is warmed up. that strikes me as a bit hot. the fan is working and there is a very slight amount of coolant loss over 5-600 miles. Has anyone had this problem - is it just the gauge or could something else be wrong?

cheers

y

Yush,

The paint shouldn't be affected by the water, but once the cold weather arrives it has a nasty habit of freezing, which will not do it any good. Pulling a car cover off if it has been frozen on will do even more damage.

To prevent the condensation you need to keep a flow of air over the car, a hair drier should be enough, with the car cover not touching the car.

The temperature does sound a little on the high side, but you don't say what engine you have. If its a cross flow I'd start by checking out the timing, then give the cooling system a good flush through. Also check what thermostat you have.

Dave H

Thanks Dave,

Not sure I can set up a constant flow of air over the car outdoors so might have to go find a garage before winter. I've heard of these tent type car covers but that really sounds like a palaver.

the engine in question is a Ss-ed Rover 1.6K - do you have any comments on what I should do with that?

thanks

y

Yush.

Not sure where you keep the car ie. how secure etc, but a 'Carcoon' would be great.It has a flow of air through its plastic 'bubble' (surrounding the car) and has a battery top up charger also fitted. Takes about 5 mins to put on and the same to inflate!!

I have the indoor version as my garage is only water resistant!!!!

The thermostat on the K-series doesn't start opening until 88 degrees, so the warmed up temperature is genuinely going to be in the mid to high nineties. I wouldn't rule out the gauge exaggerating a bit as well. If there is coolant loss, you will see white traces on the outside of the engine telling you where it has been going. Coolant doesn't just disappear. It may be that some air pockets have found their way throughto the expansion tank so the level appears to be lowering.

It sounds OK to me.