Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ground clearance

Fyldeflier 1

You will probably get as many different answers as there are owners.

I did have a problem with my superlight until I had it flat floored. During the course of having this done Woolly noticed that the rake of the car was all wrong and it was lower at the back than the front. Since that was sorted out I haven't had any trouble.

There again I don't charge at speed bumps like I did in my passat. It is always worth treating them with a little respect and you shouldn't have any major trouble.

with my 16" wheels on it is fine. Just go very slowy and I've never had a problem with grounding.

BUT with me 13" wheels on it is horrible. She scraps her chin on the ground at any opportunity and speed bumps are a real hurdle. But saying that, I know it is very low, so go dead slow and try to ignor the grinding noise as she slides along on the sump. It holds together as long as you are at crawling pace.

I have the odd problem with 65mm clearence only the occasional speed bump usually on private roads where the spec is not so carefully followed. Also if your heading for any sort of dip in the rd which is followed by uneven rd surface but thankfully driving a 7 and caring about my sump has led to reading of the rd at all times.

At 70 mm with correctly set up rake/susp etc I doubt you will have any problem I think 70 is the norm but I wait to be corrected Oh and I'm on 13" 175's.

The fin protection looking at my sump does it's job.

Dave

Dave B Superlight No.175 Freestyle superwide Pushrod SV rear and aerofoil mmmmmmmm!

Edited by - Dave Barrow on 22 Dec 2004 09:12:16