Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Head Gasket Failure ?

AndyT

It looks like the head gasket has gone on my 1.6K Supersport. There's evidence of coolant leaks all around where the head joins the block (on both the intake and exhaust sides)

I'm in Sevenoaks, Kent.. Can anyone suggest somewhere to take the car to get it fixed (or anyone fancy coming to me to do it !) ? I've tried Caterham, Dartford, but a) they seem expensive and b) they can't do it till late next week and ideally I need the car for this weekend !

It is not too difficult a job, depending on what has happened. If it is heat related failure of the rubber bits, the chances are that it will just be a quick head off and dismantle, skim to correct the inevitable warping and then reassemble. Depending on the skim you will have to fiddle the timing of the cams, but I have done this before now.

If nobody else replies I may be able to offer assistance. There is a head shop near me that can do the skim for London prices with 24 hour turnaround. You may do better locally. You will need a Rover top-end service kit with all the gaskets, seals and sealant.