Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Chassis an frame number

Anders Jensen

I have a RHD 1979 Caterham and I believe it's Arch Motor's FRAME number and those for the Lotus Series 2 and 3 all all in the same place, i.e. on the cross member at the top/front of the drivers side footwell near where all the pedal pivot points are. On my car this is a piece of angle iron. The FRAME number is stamped on it. Mine reads 'AM......"

By CHASSIS number I assume you mean the VIN number which, on the early cars is normally stamped on a black faced plate riveted somewher near the heater (it's in slightly different places on different 7's I've seen)

Ken Sailor

HEY

it is as you say it. the frame number is on that pies of iron close to the master cylinder! The chassis or VIN number is on the alu. plate next to the heater.

But I think I have heard that their also should be a chassis or VIN number stamp in the frame some where or is that incorrect?? The car I have is a 63 lotus seven?

I've never read or heard anywhere that the VIN number was stamped on the frame of any of the Lotus or Caterham 7's, although anything's possible.

The impression I have from what I've read - and photos I've seen of the Lotus factory - is that the frames Arch produced for Lotus were piled up, helter - skelter, all over the place. Some were even stored in a pile outdoors. I would think that Lotus would have taken them off the pile at random. I guess that what I'm trying to say is that there would't be any corralation between frame numbers and VIN numbers so that IF the VIN number was stamped on the frame it would have been done by Lotus when they partially assembled the chassis portion of the kit car. It just doesn't seem very likely to me.

Ken Sailor

Hi Anders, have a look on your chassis behind the passenger side seat,( on a RHD car) driverside for you mainland fellows, there may well be a number stamped on the top of the suspension plate, close to where the damper top protrudes, this number should be AM>>>>, signifying (A) Arch (M) motors, and the frame number XXXX, as for the VIN I think this is a unique Vehicle Indentification Number, and not connected to the frame manufacturing number, regards Nigel.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.