Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What's that noise?

Frying Pan

My Se7en (XPower 140 Kseries) has not been started for approx 3-4 weeks due to weather/time and being on axle stands for a winter clean! I've done nothing to the engine during this time.

Thought I'd start it this afternoon so cranked with the inertia switch disconnected for several seconds, then started it up. Yuck *eek* - a horrible tapping sound from the top end at idle, rising with the revs. Not injectors ticking - much louder and more metallic.

Oil level is fine (well, as bit of guesswork with a K!), but obviously very cold.

Any ideas what the issue is? Serious, or is it a case of TADTS?

Help!

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 4000 miles completed!

Does that engine have hydraulic lifters? I don't know much about them, but I think I've heard in the past (possibly here) that after sitting for long periods, hydraulic lifters can make an absolute racket before enough oil pressure builds up in them, or if they somehow become "stuck."

Don't know how serious it is, or how to remedy it, though. Might try a search for hydraulic lifters or something.

Dave

Dave/Guy;

that's exactly what it is, the hydraulic valve adjusters. Let the engine warm up completely and the noise will probably go away of its own accord.

The oil drains out of the adjuster during the lay-off. It then takes a little while for the oil to heat through and fully refill the adjuster.

Justin *cool*

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Thanks both *smile*

Can't remember it making such a racket when I started it for the first time after building it.

Glad it's nothing serious *wink* *thumbup* How long should it take for the noise to go away? I only let it run for maybe 30 seconds.

Guy

Yep - indeed.

Just leave it idling - it should sort itself out. Don't rev it until either the sound has stopped, or the engine is nice and warm - a quick blip usually frees them up, but I'd let it all warm up first.

I normally get this after a spanking on the track when starting the engine for the next-session, but I've also had it to a lesser extent during the winter.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Well, that was the longest 10 minutes of my life 😳

Started it up again, and the noise was still there. All my insticts were telling me to turn the engine off, as that horrible metal on metal tap sounded horrible! I let it idle, with a few little blips, and eventually the tapping stopped *biggrin*

Everything came up to temperature, the fan came in and out, nothing leaked *thumbup*

Happy chap now 😬

Guy

But it looks so nice and clean sitting in the garage on the axle stands 😳

Last time I went out I had a sudden and unexoected bout of wheelspin in fourth gear which was not pleasant *eek*

I promise I'll get it out soon 😬

Blimey Chris - 23k in a year - that's more than Angus I reckon

Tomorrow I will massage the boot cover with a little baby oil

Guy

my milage is from new , the car has been 100% reliable up to now, I hope to pass angus`s milage without a big problem(i know Angus has had a few minor blips).these things can be used every day and are more robust than some on this site make out (salt bah!!!) (no chance of selling mine in afew years after this post *eek* *mad*) sod it living the dream *cool* *cool* *cool* *wink* 😬

23,000 miles in 12 months!!