Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ride Height

STEVE GILBERT

Just changed all the springs on my Zetec engined car and was wondering what ride height people were running. I am aware that the Manual says r155 and f140mm but Im on 185/60/13 rubber and need to know if this is still a good setting. Currently the car is quite a bit lower (r140 and f125mm)and I notice that there is only a little travel in the front Dampers until they run on the bump stops. 96 dedion, 170 rear and 250 front on Bilstiens for info.

On 250lb/in front springs I have about 10mm travel until contact is made with the bumpstops ('97 Widetrack). Please realise that delicately touching the bumpstops does not do anything of relevance; the bump stop has a rising rate and needs to be compressed about 10mm before it significantly contributes to the springing force. This overall equates to about 2 inches of wheel travel before the bumpstop is actually doing its job which is quite adequate.

The rear should be set a bit higher, but the criticality of the settign is determined by the rear steer characteristics. If the car oversteers, the rear is too high. If the car ploughs on, the rear is set too low.

Thank you Peter, I was worrying about this Strange thing is the front end although stiffer does not actually feel stiffer when the car is driven and there is no extra creaking or groaning. Perhaps with the old std f springs and my heavy lump it was running on the stops more. Do you think the Ride Height mentioned sounds low overall or Ball Park?

Steve, I would have thought that 185 70 section tyres would have been better for road use, 60 section for track days etc.

I am sure Peter is right in his handling analysis.

Note also that the inclined dampers give a gearing effect and the wheel movement is considerably more that the actual distance to the bump stop.

Regards

allen