Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Startup fan problem

RodW

Can anyone offer any useful advice? I am in the final stages of building my 1.8 K series Roadsport. I have followed the build manual startup procedure including the process for filling the cooling system, including filling the hose in the heater. All gone well except that the cooling fan will not switch in. Have run the engine until the temp. guage reads just over 100 celsius but nothing happens - I don't want to risk overheating a brand new engine. The fan does work; I bypassed the radiator temp. sensor and it came straight in with the ignition. I guess I have an airlock but can't seem to shift it. Have tried running engine and opening bleed valve until water comes out. Heater is producing heat. The top of the radiator gets no more than luke warm and the heater matrix stays cool. Similarly, the hose from the bottom of the radiator to the thermostat housing on the block stays cool. (The whole process may have been complicated by the fact that I had to replace the expansion tank after filling the system, as the one supplied by Caterham drip leaked from the top/bottom seam before the engine had been run!)

RGW

Try 'Holden' on 01885 488488 (order hotline) Holden Vintage Classic, Linton Trading Estate, Bromyard, Herefordshire, HR7 4QT

You want the Kenlowe Automatic Control. Part no 080.253 priced in my (year old) catalogue at 23.60 + VAT. If you want the "Fan On" light and over-ride switch that is 5.20 + VAT part no 080.252. Can't say I have needed this switch since fitting it though!!!!

Thanks all for the replies. It did seem to me that the thermostat may well be the culprit - but I had hoped (optpmism or naivity?) that as the whole thing is brand new and was delivered in the brand new and never run engine that it would be okay. Will try bleeding the system again and checking the temp. switch.

Regards, Rod.W