Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

battery overcharging on a trickle charger???

grumpy the 7th

I've not run my car for a month now (shame 🙆🏻) but what with SWMBO's bad back I've been more inclined to stay in. Actually I've lowered my work benches to a better height, & rearranged the whole place, fitted a new switch to the bench grinder and bought a new 18mm bench drill *cool* I've even had all the shelves off and cleaned the 20 years of dusty crap off them *eek*

Anyway, yesterday I checked the battery fluid levels & couldn't see any 😳 😳 I keep one of those Halfauds battery trickle charge/conditioner things connected all the time as per the instructions.

1) banner battery was new last February

2) acid was well over the plates 5 or six weeks ago

3) could the charger (only a few mAmps) be 'overcharging' ??

4) should I just connect it every now & then ??

rog

C7 TNT - it's dynamite (Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey )

I've used a similar battery conditioner for some time. Last May I noticed the acid level was low so topped up with distilled water, the 1st time I've had to top-up a battery. At the end of May it promptly died. It was 3 years old but throughout that time it was maintained on a conditioner. With hindsite I should have checked the acid concentration as the water diluted the acid too much. I now only connect it for half a day for twice a week. That reminds me, must check the electrolyte level.

I use a Halfords conditioner 24/7. From experience you do need to keep an eye on the level. Car started yesterday after 2 months on the first turn of the key.

No doubt an electrical expert will be along with atechnical explanation soon.

Graham

A "Trickle Charger" cannot be left on 24x7 as the charging current is too high (~ 0.5A)

A battery conditioner can be left on permanently as the charging current is small at only about 100-150mA. However, in both cases, the water level should be checked regularly. With a conditioner, say every 3 or 4 weeks. The acid level does not change, but the water in the battery will slowly evaporate due to the charging processs and through natural evaporation. It is only slight but finite.

Do ensure that what you have is indeed a so-called "battery-conditioner" and NOT a "trickle charger". They are not the same beast. If you leave a trickle charger connected for an extended peiod, you will boil the water in the battery and the water loss will be significant as well as the chances of damaging the battery permanently.

I have left a Draper battery conditioner (~ £15 from Halfords) connected for nearly 2 years now and, like Graham, my 7 starts on the first touch of the button every time.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Thanks all *thumbup*

Mine is the Draper 15squid conditioner.

From your comments & experiences I'll connect it via a timer for a few hours per day (probably during the night) AND I'll now make sure I check the levels more regularly and keep them topped up.

rog

C7 TNT - it's dynamite (Honda Irish Green and Peugeot Graphite grey )

Unless your immobiliser developes a fault and drains the battery faster..at which point you decide to rebuild the car sans immobiliser *mad*

Chris,

Is there any need to condition the battery if it is removed from the car for the winter ?

Will it deterioate at all left sitting for a few months in a corner and if so will conditioning it reducxe that deterioation?

(Before I met Banner batteries all I'd dealt with were extra super heavy duty jobs that will start a car after 2 years sitting idle *tongue*).

Keep off the straight and narrow *tongue* 😬

The Draper battery consitioner I bought in Halfords is rated at 300mA. The instructions say it can be left connected permanently to battery of over 30 Amp Hours.

My Alfa has a large Bosch battery, so I have left it on that permanently a couple of times, however that Battery seems to be able to fire the car up after a 4 week lay off, with lots of churning needed to bring fuel up to the carbs (mechanical pump).

I don't leave the Banner connected up to the Draper conditioner for weeks on end - given it is less than 30 Amp Hours (just). In winter it will struggle to start the car after a 2 week lay off (the battery is 2 years old) so just connect it up for a couple of days now and then. When this Banner dies I will replace it with something else. The first one was dead after 12 months.

Jonathan

Nifty

Re disconnecting the battery, batteredoldsupersport's answer is right on the money. If you leave it disconnected (or connected) for any length of time without charging then the battery will discharge and if left long enough will never recover properly. The battery will have its overall life drastically shortened if allowed to fully discharge.

Tales of batteries dying in one or two years are due to battery abuse not bad batteries or because they're Banners. A looked-after battery life should be not less than 4 years.

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here