Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BDR engine timing

Normans_Ghost

Norman,

I've not received an e-mail from you, but here I am anyway.

On your engine you have white TDC marks on the cam pullies. They line up adjacent to each other on the centre line through the cam pulley bolts at TDC number 1. This was the normal way of doing the BDAs. In your case you also have a TDC mark on the crank pulley. It's a white notch on the edge of the fan belt pulley that lines up with the circumference of the lower idler pulley at TDC.

It may be that the white paint has disappeared by now, so if you're not sure, just remove the spark plug and put a pencil down number one plug hole; then turn the engine by hand until the pencil is at it's highest point. This will ensure that your are in nearly the correct position for TDC, so it should then be easy to find the mark. Use the crank pulley mark in preference to the cam pulley marks.

Norman,

that would be the jack shaft pulley right (?). I've not seen one on mine but that's not to say there isn't one there :-)

Once you've got the crank and cam pulleys lined up presumably you can just lock them somehow so you can put it all back together as it came apart...?

Roger, You're email came back.

This is what I sent:

Roger,

Sorry to be a nuisance but I can't remember which way the timing marks go.

I've got engine out (gearbox work by by BGH) and am changing the cam belt. I've let something turn and have lost the settings.

If I remember correct the cams have the the marks to the outside of the timing wheels set in a straight line through the centre. The crank is set to tdc but I can't remember where the dist. jack shaft wheel goes in relation to the crank.

Have you got a diagram you can email?

Apart from that how are you and what are you doing these days?

Merry Christmas to you and the family,

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

• 19 years later...