Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

replacing exhaust myself: maybe that's why I'm no mechanic: HELP

Vogon SuperTrooper

Have taken off exhaust of my xflow but couldn't undo one of the bolts holding the primaries on. As a result I drilled out the hole but now there's no thread and my new bolts don't fit. (Too tight and I've run out of big enough drill bits to make it wider than the original hole. Perhaps you;ll say this is a good thing.

Anyway, what do I do now? Put the new exhaust in place minus one of the bolts?

Cry?

Ah, okay. Stick to my day job...

Advice much appreciated. Please bear in mind I'm running fast into my goodwill account overdraft and soon I'll be having my debts called in.

Cahlres

Director

The Rumble 2001

here

07769 682970

2 choices

If you've drilled it only a little bit too large then you can helicoil the hole and reuse and original size stud. A helicoil is like a double sided thread, you tap the hole a tiny bit larger and the outer thread of the helicoil goes into this and the inner side of the helicoil then becomes the new thread for the bolt / stud. You buy a helicoil set which has a tap, the inserts and a tool for fitting it. Probably best to find a local garage / engineering works / well equipped enthusiastic mate who can do it for you.

You can just drill the hole larger and tap it to a larger siozer and use a bigger diameter bolt. This is only OK if theres enough room to drill the manifold hole larger and enough room for the larger bolt head (or you could use a cap head bolt which has a smaller head).

Or (OK three choices) put it back with one bolt short, from memory each header only has two bolts on the crossflow so this is less than ideal and will probably blow a bit. But it'll be OK to drive yourself to someone who can help.