Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front anti roll bar

julians

Just been on a track day to anglesey having recently changed my front springs from the standard caterham vauxhall springs to a set of 260lb springs, arb is the red bush type (cant remember the exact size), and whilst it seems fine, I'm getting a little more understeer than I used to get. I'm presumeing that this is due to the arb being too stiff now that the springs are stiffer, so does anyone have any recommendations on what size to go with. I'm going to try removing it altogether next time and see how that goes, but I suspect I'll still need a small amount of arb.

Does anyone have any experience of the adjustable arb's, are they any good/worth getting over a standard caterham bar. Where can I get one and how much are they? How much is a cterham bar.

BTW, the car is a zetec engined car on A032R's, which I presume is a bit heavier than a K, but a bit lighter than a vaux (the engine not the tyres), if it makes any difference.

Cheers

Julian

Julian

Juno Sportscars make an adjustable front ARB. Costs around £150.00.

I managed to pick a second hand one up out of the For Sale section. Will fit it this winter when the car comes off the road for rebuild/mods so haven't tried it out yet. Other contributors to this forum reckon they are OK.

Juno Tel. Nos. 0208 467 2145 / 07801 749054

AMMO

My list of useful info says red bushes go with the 5/8 inch bar which is the middle one of the 5 that Caterham supply, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 inch, 18 and 19mm in order of increasing stiffness.

If you've gone stiffer springs then I would have thought you wanted a stiffer roll bar but not too sure why I think that.

I've got a Juno adjustable roll bar and find it excellent, it also comes with solid alloy mounting blocks rather than the rubber mounts. There have been a couple of reports of them breaking but I think that was just where people have neglected to grease the alloy mounts. Mine has certainly worked very well and no sign of seizure or breakage. Cost is approx 150ukp, fitting is very simple, adjustment is very easy.

Standard Caterham bars are approx 35ukp plus a new pair of rubber mounts for each different size bar, about 10ukp a pair??

I went from standard 170lb Caterham front springs on Vauxhall to 260's and now to 300's from James Whiting, plus adjustable Leda dampers. I wanted to retain the 16" wheels and the combination of the stiffer springs and Leda's have made a huge difference, eliminating pattering/bump steer and the car does not tramline as it used to. Suprisingly the stiffer springs do not make for a harder ride, presumably the soft roll bar allowing more travel for potholes etc.

I disconnected the front and rear bars and much preferred the set up, less understeer in tight corners and better rear traction. Ended up with smallest Caterham front and rear bars, with rear bar on the softest setting.

Have standard springs and dampers on rear. I feel the springs are about right, but the car does bottom out occasionally and I fancy that some Leda's may be the next move.

Will be interested to know what you find.

Nick

Well, I disconnected the front arb at the weekend, so am currently running without arb in the front and with the rear one set at the 2nd softest setting.

Unfortunately on the road I cant tell any difference (cant go as fast as I would like into corners) , so It'll have to wait for the next track day (which is croft on the 1st oct) to see how it feels.

Julian

I very much doubt that things will have been improved from disconnecting the front ARB.

250lb/in springs are still at the soft end of the spectrum having an effective wheel rate of ~95lb/in. Because the track is narrower than the wheelbase, the uprated springs have more effect in suppressing pitch rather than roll.

FWIW, I have 250 lb/in springs and the 18mm ARB. This works very well.

I'm just about (like tonight!) to fit 250lb springs with an 18mm ARB. I am lead to believe that this is about the best "all round" solution currently on offer.

The adjustable roll bar sounds interesting, but I would have thought that this was only useful on a full on track car?

T 1 PPB - Superlight

"Well yes officer I'm not arguing, it's just that [insert excuse here]..."