Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting an SLR cage

MikeE

I'm going to remove the FIA roll bar and replace with my ('Caged') SLR cage over the christmas break. The cage was already trial fitted by CC before the car was painted so should fit OK.

So I have the holes in the side of the car, an SLR cage and a Caterham bag of bolts and washers. I don't have any instructions telling me which bolts and washers to use where. Now I can probably work out which bolts fit but have no idea when to use the washers, for example do I put washers in between the cage and the side skins or just between the bolt head and the cage? Any other tips I may find useful?

cheers,

R400 Duratec 230bhp *cool* Build Pictures here

in my bolt kit I had a lot of left over bolts and washers so just used what ever bolt came to hand, in general I tried to use the longer ones, ISTR using the ones with a shank *confused* for the 2 rear most mounting points where the bolt passes through a tube, and ones without on the forward mounting points....

and makesure you use enough spacers so you can get poppers throu if you intend to use a toneeau, unlike what I did ☹️

I put a washer between the sideskin and the cage in all instances

some other tips

*thumbup*put some card or similar agross the scuttle so that it doesn't scratch the paintwork whilst fitting and getting into place

*thumbup*if you can get the bolts in a few turns do that before tighning up all of them, makes it easier to fit

and be prepared to swear a lot *tongue*

The new Caged SLR cage is designed to fit with a few washers between the cage and chassis in order to make fitting easier and less damaging to paintwork. Personally I try to use as few as possible, and use only the minimum required to allow the half doors to sit properly - this means using shorter bolts than supplied though.