Click here if you are having website access problems ×

flywheel and clutch

upriis

I have a rover 1.8k engine from an MGTF along with the flywheel and clutch

I have a caterham bellhousing (thanks shaun_e) and ford type 9 gearbox

I am needing some info as to mounting this lot together

can I use the rover flywheel and clutch?

do I need a different starter motor?

anyone forsee any other parts that might be required?

Many thanks for your help, I am quite new to this build your own business and would benefit from your collective experiances. *confused*

What's the engine from???

If it's out of a tintop, you'll need to do some work to the block to get the starter to fit (see here)

I don't think the flywheel *will* work - the caterham has a smaller flywheel - hence the need to grind the block so that the starter sits closer to the crank-axis...

If the engine is from a tintop and you've not got a spare caterham-k sitting around, you'll need to sort all kinds of things out such as the sump (caterham part), oil-pickup and so on...

Just post a few more details about what you've got, and what you are trying to do... *thumbup*

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Erm, no idea about the clutch.

Starter-motor might be OK, but it will need a spacer to move it approx. 10mm further towards the front of the engine.

Upriis - are you actually planning to drop this lot into a Caterham, or are you thinking of building a locost or some other derivative???

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

I believe the MGTF uses the standard Rover K powertrain, so you will need a smaller flywheel, and as a result of that a smaller clutch. The standard Rover starter motor won't fit a Caterham type 9 bellhousing, so you'll need to change that too. In the early days you used a Lucas LRS543, but current cars use a different motor, alleged to be proprietary. Probably isn't proprietary but its exact origin isn't widely known.

As Myles says you'll need other stuff too. Sump, oil pickup, engine mounts, crankshaft spigot bearing, water rail. And to get the starter motor to fit, you have to grind a lot of metal off the block, wiping out most of the engine number.

• Support Team

I've got a Caterham wet sump too if you want that - its used, so slightly worn underneath but no cracks or leaks. Was advertised for £130 which is less than half price but as ever am open to a reasonable offer.

I'll bring all the bits I have - sump, clutch release arm, CRB and Rover clutch and you can take your pick of what you want.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

For Sale: wet sump, ali bellhousing, chrome headlights, sill protectors

Wanted: Black headlights, blank carbon dash