Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Would you be worried about this?

YellowSeven

A mate of mine is looking for a 7. He's just found one he really likes but..,

The chassis rail that runs along the bottom of the fuel tank, just behind the de-dion has a slight bend in it, this is visable when looking straight down at it (throught the boot floor) and not when looking at it horizontally from behind/under the car.

The straight sections that are connect to this rail, that run to where the A frame legs attach are true, as are the top and bottom boot loop rails. (Theres also no damage to the fuel tank)

The car drives as it should and shows no adverse effects, so..,

1) Is this something to be worried about?

2) Can it be fixed? And/Or checked out? By who? Cost?

3) Possible causes? Adverse effects?

Thank you

Could have been caused by jacking the car, or supporting the cars weight on.

Can you see if the rear has been reskinned due to a rear end shunt ?

If you have the chassis no, or reg number then give Arch a call to see if they have ever repaired it . *thumbup*

Support the 7 Society...... Ehhh?

Do you mean the bar thats is at the lower front edge of the fuel tank..

I bent this jacking up the car when i first go it.. Gary at free style noticed it and kindly bent it back for me.. says that is not critical in any way other than to keep the shape of the rear end (which is not structural) and provide a mounting for the fuel tank, straps etc etc

I understand that if you had a remote fuel tank I *think* you could happly chop off everything (chassis) behind your bum and the upper shock mounts without much effect

This bar is slightly bent on my car too. I dont remember ever jacking the car on this bar and I think it may have even come from the factory like this. My car has never been pranged in its 3 year, 5000mile lifetime and I dont think the bent tube is having any detrimental effect.

Bob

• Leadership Team

As is mine where someone ran into the back of me - hit the spare wheel carrier which transmitted the shock to that bar without distorting the rear pannel.

Although I'd love to get it fixed, it has not led to any apparent handling effects on the road or track.

Michael.

Same with my previous 7- I bent it when I didn't have the jack located properly. I managed to bend it back (a bit) using a bar and the lever principle.

I then covered about 15,000 miles, including 2 trips to the Pryenees, with no problems at all, and the car felt no different.

Find a tyre depot with a laser alignment jig and get the full geometry checked - the better ones can tell you if the wheels are in line with each other or whether one is set back.

I had this done a couple of years ago and it was around £25 - you could even see the front wheel camber angle changing when someone got in the car

Nick

Red and Black 1.6K supersport

visit Carrotland.co.uk