Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Which new 6 point Harness ?

Jason Plato

Right, I've spoken to Lucy at Willans. The monkey tail 6 is an expensive option when fitted to a Caterham suitable harness. The reason being that combining the reversed adjuster with the D ring loop for the monkey tails on the lap straps is tricky, and not a stock item. It puts the cost of a single harness up by about 20 quid compared to a harness with a V or T style plug in crutch strap. If we were able to get sufficient numbers (10 harnesses) we could look forward to a 20% discount off £194.27+vat each.

On the other hand, harnesses without crutch or with a regular crutch are in stock and they will be more flexible. I was offered the following:

6 point Caterham, T crutch, alu adjusters £176.08+vat

4 point Caterham, alu adjusters £164.10+vat

If we could get together 10 harnesses from the above choices (I'm sure minor variations like non-alu adjusters will still count) we would get 30% off those prices, and could have any combination of colours (whereas the monkey tails would have to be special ordered and in single colour). Lucy made the point that the monkey tails are quite fiddly to thread, and I guess that in winter when you've got gloves on she has a point.

So, I'd be willing to chance the T crutch, and would go for a pair of them. Could we get up to the required numbers?

Edited by - Luke Beaumont on 15 Dec 2004 12:29:10

30% would be great!!!

Think it is worth putting a new thread in chitchat as well as techtalk highlighting potential bulk buy and savings? Not everyone may pick it up on this thread..

Is that 10 pairs or 10 separate harnesses?? I'm after a pair, just to clarify.

Cheers

Dave

• Area Representative

Lotus Boy thanks for your reply. It was very helpful.

Luke, I'm interested in one pair (i.e. one driver and one passenger) of 6pt. But I think I really want the Monkey Tails. I already have a V strap; though I haven't fitted it.

Can you clarify, please, Luke; you can get monkey tails with a 30% discount albeit 30% of a dearer price? I think I'd rather pay the extra £20+VAT and be more comfortable than forever having to fidget once I'm strapped in.

Cheers

Adil

The prognosis on monkeys is pretty poor unfortunately Adil.

The monkeys are a special order item, not stock, so to qualify for a discount we would have to come up with a bulk order of 10 monkey harnesses in one configuration only (and one colour only).

If we did manage to get that many orders, the retail price per harness is £194.27+vat, and a 10-off order would only attract a 20% discount due to it being a 'special'. I don't want the monkeys that badly, and I hope that the T style crutch strap won't eliminate my chances of fatherhood.

If you can live with non-adjustable lap straps like I have then it's not a special one off custom jobby, it's an off the shelf single seater belt with the monkey thingy crotch straps as standard. Called Silverstone 6 single seater according to the Demon Tweeks catalogue. and cheaper as there's only 2 expensive alloy adjusters rather than 4....

Just a thought *cool*

Loads of pickies of the monkey's tail bits in operation in the catalogue too if anyones still confused.

Also comparing the Silverstone 4x4 Caterham with the Silverstone 6 single seater shows graphically why they can't do reversed adjusters and the D loops on the same belt, as they said they're in exactly the same place.

• Area Representative

Luke, thanks for your efforts. I'll give some more thought to it. If we're not going to order until the new year, can I suggest waiting until after the Autosport Show? I, for one, should then know what exactly I want to go for.

Cheers

Adil

There is that Adil (though it appears neither Willans nor the UK importer Stockbridge Racing are exhibiting). The other thought I had regarding Autosport was that if we had them ordered & delivered in time, I could take a few harnesses with me & meet up with people to save onward postage. That would only be any use to people going on Thursday or Friday though, as I'm not a fan of Autosport at the weekend *smile*