Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tire fitment problem/dilemma

yankeedoodoo

I have a new set Kumho Ecsta V700s for fun stuff. The fronts are 8" wide and the rears are 9" wide (TW). Problem is that neither will clear enough to go on the SLR, just too wide. This does not diminish my lust to run them on the 7. Has anyone encountered a similar problem and is perhaps willing to share their solution??

As I see it there two possibilities: put on longer studs and use spacers; or buy new wheels with an offset/backspace that will accomodate the tires. However, each solution has some drawbacks. The longer studs will necessitate busting up my existing hubs and possibly damaging/destroying them. Also, the fronts are aluminum and may not tolerate such a procedure very well. The new wheel option has the disadvantage of costing about $1200 for custom wheels.

Can anyone offer some advice on this. I would very very much appreciate any suggestions. Thank you , in advance. *cool*

yankeedoodoo: Are the fronts 205 and the rears 225 or 235?

You've got MB rims haven't you?

The wide rears should go on 8.5" MB rims and fit OK. Infact, I'm pretty sure some R500s have 235 ACB10s. 205s will fit on the front. I used to have 205s on the front with standard wingstays and wings.

Do your rear wheels turn OK without tyres or do they foul the edge of the de-dion tube? If they do, you'll need to gring the de-dion tube down a bit with a gringer.

This is an old pickie of my car with 205 fronts and 235 rears. The wings, arches, and wingstays were all standard. The wheels were 6.5" front and 9.5" rear (with 3/4" spacers).

No longer after a 3.14 diff.

The problem on the front is that the sidewall hits the stay which holds the fender. I need about another half inch of clearance.

The inflated diameter of the rear is also too wide to snug up the wheel nuts. I do have the MB wheels, but the 5 1/2 backspace suggests that I find a different set of tires for those wheels. A backspace of about 3 3/4" would probably be about right, but wouldn't that have some effect on the handling of the car.

It seems as though every so;ution also carries some penalties.

• Support Team

Aren't the MB wheels split rims? If so new rims would cost far less than custom wheels. I am sure that I have read on here somewhere that MB can supply rims in virtually any offset. You could also take the opportunity to make the wheels a little wider if required.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

For Sale: wet sump, ali bellhousing, chrome headlights, sill protectors

Wanted: Black headlights, blank carbon dash

Are you sure it's not the De-Dion hitting the wheels? If it is, grind it down. Otherwise, get some longer studs and spacers for the back wheels and bend the wingstays - job done, total cost $50 or so *thumbup* As long as the wingstays don't break - might be an idea to get them heated and bent properly.

No longer after a 3.14 diff.