Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Superchips?

Red SLR

I think you have to understand what the full ECU-thing does on a car first. You'll probably answer the question yourself then. Check out Dave Andrews web site at:

http://hometown.aol.com/DVAndrews/index.htm

There's a whole section about electronic management which is very detailed.

In a nut-shell, if your car is already running correctly (so we remove the possibility of power gains because of that) then you may be able to adjust the shape of the power curve, possibly increasing the headline figure at the expense of driveability and possibly sacrificing economy, but more likely by sacrificing longevity. The question that always comes to my mind is, how can a chip improve your engine's output when the car's not been near to a rolling road? How can they assume it's OK for your engine? No 2 engines are the same when they come out of the factory. Put a few thousand miles on them and the differences are pretty substantial.

I've just replaced my MEMS with an Emerald M3DK. It has a map in it from another standard VHPD engine, but looking at the results from the various rolling road sessions that Dave Andrews has organised at Emerald over the last couple of years it is obvious that no 2 engines are the same, even if their parts are the same.

I am not entirely happy to use my new ECU with the map from another car but I increased the fueling a little through the range, although not under load. I have a session booked at Emerald in a month's time to have it set up correctly. It'll be interesting to see how far out from the other VHPD mine is.

I know that increases can be had more effectively with turbo engines, but they can increase boost and all sorts of things that are not adjustable on a NA engine.

Good luck finding a superchip for the Rover Mems.

The efficacy of a superchip depends on how bad the original calibration of the ECU is to start with, some are better than others. On naturally aspirated engines it's entirely possible to improve throttle response and maybe gain a little torque here or there but 10-15% seems a little optimistic. Every engine is different and the engine on which the re-calibrated maps were developed may not have identical chaaracterstics to the one its being fitted to. It is these differences that sometimes cause the standard ECUs map to be a little off beam.

The best improvement I have ever witnessed was a 1.8K Caterham which had an Emerald ECU put in place of the standard Mems, with just a 'near enough' map from a friends Elise. It picked up 12BHP and 8-10 ft/lb of torque. It was so surprising that we did further back-to-back tests with the old Mems and the new ECU to substantiate the result. This is however very unusual and the owner was complaining of flat spots and rough running prior to the swap-out, clearly the original ECU calibration was erroneous. A 'Superchip' is also a non volatile device so you cannot alter the maps as you can with a proepr ECU, if they dont suit your engine you are stymied.

On turbo engines with electronic boost control there are substantial gains to be had...

Oily

Dont touch them with a bargepole. Modern engine management has got to a state where thousands of parameters have been optimised over many 1000's of man hours. You cannot expect to be able to download the software with some sort of EPROM programmer and just expect to be able to find some sort of magic number to fiddle with.

A ex colleague of mine (who now co directs one of the most promising new powertrain engineering companies to appear in a long time, can I have a job please LB, RD??) badgered a chip tuning company into confessing that nowadays there is absolutely nothing that can be done to improve on the performance of an NA engine ECU without other hardware mods.

Bob