Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen Fitting/Adjustment

Joespeeder v2.0

Hi All,

When fitting my standard windscreen the bottom of the frame hits the top of the scuttle on the left hand side. While the right hand side has a gap of about 3/8 of an inch.

I've looked at photos of lots of cars and while some may have a gap it's always equal from side to side.

Do I just dremel the holes on the left hand side to allow the windscreen to rise off the top of the scuttle and push down the right hand side when tightening it. This seems to be the only way to adjust it I can see. Am I missing something?

Does the windscreen move around at all after being driven?

Any tips or tricks to fitting the screen and handling this gap?

Thanks.

Joe

www.thecaterhamproject.com

Hi Joe,

UK kits tend to arrive with the screeen fitted so it's not a regular issue. I recently fitted a full screen to my car which came with an aeroscreen fitted. I used measurements supplied by another sevener to position the mounting holes. I found that in order to get the screen on I locate one side and then it requires quite a bit of downward pressure in order to compress the rubber seal along the bottom of the screen to locate the other side. Bear in mind however that I you don't want to twist the screen as they have been known to crack.

I would have another go and if you still can't get in to locate then as you say extend the holes a little at a time until it can be fitted. The holes aren't going to show on the outside as they'll be covered by the stanchion and make sure you use penny washers on the inside to spread the loads.

HTH.

Steve.

Thanks Steve,

The holes are pre-drilled by Caterham. I have all day today to do the windscreen so I'll just go slow and try not to break the glass. Seems so simple, just didn't want to miss some little trick that wasn't obvious last night at 12pm.

Once I get this bit done,its time to fill the diff, bleed brakes, and tourque the axle nut before tomarrows "big lift" off the work stands onto its tires for the first time.

Joe

Steve,

I got it together the best I could have done. I did Dremel a small amout of each hole. Maybe 1mm on each hole as needed. Doing this AND pressing the right side down hard as it was tightened closed the gap as much as is possible since now the right side sits on the rubber gromet for the defrost wire. The left side is not on the gromet but it's very tight to the scuttle.

In looking at this, it appears my windscreen frame has a flat spot on the bottom left hand side where it dosen't curve like the right side of the frame.

Since this is a new build I may have to revist this once the wings and side screens go on.

Thanks for all your help. I took pictures but they wont be on my site for about a week as I need to get them developed.

Joe