Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Chat with Mr Avon

Gridgway

Spoke to Avon today to get prices for ACB10s and CR500s. Apparently as the R400s are racing on CR500s (eek) in 2005, they have new front and rear CR500s coming out. Anyone else heard this?

He also said that for a 'superlight' spec many people are putting on 7" ACB10s not 6". Anyone support that hypothesis? I use my ACBs for track. SHould I change to 7" or stay (as instinct suggests) with 6" ones?

Graham

Not sure whether this is of any significance, but in the report in Evo Magazine about the launch of the CSR it mentions the following: -

'In order to capitalise on the increased lteral loadings the new chassis is capable of generating, Avon is working closely with Caterham to develop a new 15" tyre to suit the specific requirements and characteristics of teh CSR road cars. Though branded as a CR500, the new tyre will be significantly re-worked and feature a much stiffer sidewall.'

Might answer your question *confused*

Wider may well lower lap times. Essential with a new car superseeding an old one *wink*

Same trick was pulled with the SLR as it was slower than the outgoing HPC race car.

I can only comment on 7.0 wide ACB0's. They are great on the front. Matched the 9.0 rears perfectly... Never tried the new softer sidewalled tyres.

Were they faster Rob?

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

do you mean that you think my ACB10s are not that worn, or that the 6" ones are the right choice Mr SA?

Also as I currently have the hardest ACB10s, Mr Avon suggested getting the next softer compound.

Also anyone know if it is safe to mend punctures in CR500s?

I had an 1 1/2" size 8 brass screw though a tyre right in the middle of the tread. The annoying thing is that by the time I found it, the head had worn down to the slot, so there was little point in putting it in my screw jar!

Graham

The compound on CR500's is changing.

The RSB, RSI boys will be getting a more durable compound (11090 will be replaced by ???? hasnt yet been announced) and the R400's will also get CR500's but in a different stickier compound.

All of this is an attempt by CC to lower running costs, particularly in R400 where slicks drive the seasons budget through the roof, they are hopeful to get bigger grids because of it.

The codes I was quoted for the (not yet available) new tyres are 12312 (front) and 12313 (rear). If these are what the R400s are going to race on, would they not have to be pretty sticky? In the realm of ACB10s?

OT now, but whats the future for the R400 race series? I wouldn't have thought it had much more than 05 to go. If there are teams with the budget to get a grid of CSRs, then budget can't be a problem. I would have thought that the R400 teams/drivers will want to race in the top Caterham series, not the 2nd one down.

Graham