Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Roadsport 1.8VVC or Superlight 1.8SS

chrisiden

After having hired a Roadsport 1.6 for a day at the start of the week I've made the decision to take the plunge and buy a seven. All I need to do now is decide on the spec and I would appreciate input for more experienced seven owners.

Firstly I better say what I'm going to use it for.

Short weekend blasts and commuting to work on B-Roads/Town Driving. All year round road use, with maybe 3 or 4 track days a year. I do not intend to modify the car later on.

I've narrowed it down to two options :

"Roadsport Option"

==============

- Factory built Roadsport

- 1.8VVC with 5sp gearbox (150bhp)

- Supersport suspension and upgraded front brakes

- Leather seats

- FIA Roll bar / 4 pt harness

- Quick Release steering wheel

- Paint

Total Cost : 23015 pounds

"Superlight Option"

==============

-Factory built Superlight

-1.8 Supersport Engine (140bhp)

- Roof / Windscreen / Heater (It is for 'all year use'...)

- Leather seats

- FIA Roll bar

- Paint

- Upgrade ACB10's to CR500's (80quid)

Total Cost : 24315 pounds

Initially I had concerns regarding the ride height of the Superlight and the wet weather performance of ACB10's, however having talked to Caterham it seems that the Superlight with it adjustable suspension can be raised to the same height of the Roadsport if I want, and they'll fit CR500 tyres instead on ACB10's for better wet weather performance.

The superlight does seem better value for money as you get all sorts of equipment included for "free" such as LSD, Carbon Wings/Nose, 6 speed gearbox, Quick Release wheel etc.

However I still have doubts about how "drivable" the 1.8SS engine is; Is it a case of heaps of top end power, with nothing below 4000rpm, does the engine need to be worked hard with the six speed box to get the performance.

How does it compare with the more powerful 1.8VVC with 5speed box and lower revs torque delivery.

Which would have the best overtaking ability?

Which is more fun for road use which is where I'm going to do 95% of my mileage.

Any input would be very much appreciated.

I say: Go for the six-speed. Superlight with screen and weather is just like regular Roadsport but without spare wheel - but, as you say, you get a load of extra goodies. I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed with the SS engine - it's not that highly tuned that you'll notice any lack of bottom end grunt.

Chris,

The 1.8SS is perfectly tractable on the road, a lot more so than the 1.6 you hired. IMHO the VVC is a waste of money, isn't it something like 2 or 3K more than a 1.8SS? This gives you a very modest peak power increase, and some tractibality you don't really need in a 550 Kg car, especially one with a close ration 6 speed 'box.

I had a 5 speed 1.8SS, and the thing that made me change it was the 'box. Go for the 6 speed, especially as you plan to do track days, or you'll experience extreme frustration. I'd say this is the biggest difference between the two specs., not the engine.

It should be noted that the 1.8SS isn't quite as rev happy as the 1.6SS, but has more power throughout the rev range. This is probably what you want if you are planning to use it mainly as a road car, but you could save yourself 1K and use your left arm a tad more.

One more thing I think you should spec. is the anti-cav tank (Apollo tank). This is essential if you are planning track use, and sensible anyway.

Cheers,

Jon

Definitely the Superlight. Six speed box and LSD. Get the Apollo tank as well.

"But watch out for that price. It might turn out to be literally THOUSANDS of pounds more expensive because of gratuitous, illegal and immoral mis-selling by those notorious highway robbers, Caterham Cars."

blush.gif

bum.gif

thumbsup.gif

Edited by - Peter Carmichael on 30 Aug 2001 10:42:00

Chrisiden

I've got a 1.8SS with 6 speed box, LSD, leather seats, widetrack. At the time (July 99) the pricing for a spec'd up SL was more than for a normal Seven to SL spec without the Carbon bits. The extra cost of the VVC was more than for a SS conversion and six-speed and I didn't like the idea of the VVC for the seven.

I can't fault the car, it's much better than my driving is. My usage is similar to what you've suggested you'll be doing. The six-speed isn't a problem on long runs and the engine pulls well throughout the range and never feels out of puff. The cars been to Italy and has 14000 miles put on in two years without any problems. Work out the cost of the Roadsport with a 1.8ss and 6 speed - I think you end up paying a lot for the carbon bits of a Superlight. They've got lots of pose value but I didn't think the weight saving (especially when adding all the weather gear, leather seats and being a bit over weight myself..)was enough to justify a big wodge of cash. Plus if you're using it a lot as general transport a standard paint colour wing is a lot cheaper to replace than a carbon one. Same again for the nose cone.

I wouldn't get the Avon ZV-1 tyres though, unless you especially want your tyres to last the life of the car...

Piers

The main attraction of the VVC engine is for the self builder (such as myself). A new VVC can be turned up for £1000, which when added to the cost of the Caterham engine adaptor pack (another£1000) gives you an engine for £2000, which is a lot less than even the £3500 that Caterham ask for even a 1.6 std K series!! I've jazzed it up with a few simple bolt on tweaks to give 160/165ish BHP with another 15BHP worth of mods to come.

Although my car only has a 5spd box and open diff it drives well and I don't think I could make any real benefit from a 6spd box (although a Quaife close ratio box would have been worthwhile). I'll probably uprgrade in a year or so.

"Self Build Superlight Option"

==============

-Factory built Superlight chassis

-1.8 VVC "Supersport" Engine (MGF Trophy 165bhp)with R500 exhaust

- Roof / Black Windscreen

- Big brakes

- SLR 500 seats + Harnesses

- FIA Roll bar

- Paint (Factory)

- A032R on R500 Rims

- Quick Release Momo steering wheel

- Carbon dash

Total Cost : 19250pounds

Just registered it as new with no problems whatsoever. Its been fun building it myself too. If you didn't want to build it yourself I'm sure a dealer would build it for you with your own sourced engine. I wasn't going to line somebody elses pockets with my borrowed money. Especially as the Rover internal cost for a complete VVC engine and gearbox is less than a grand I think!!

You get more than just carbon fibre on a SL, over a 6 speed Roadsport. You get LSD, wide track, big front brakes, and adjustable spring seats. Not sure what exhaust comes on a SL these days as std, probably the same CAT equipped road one.

You can order your SL without carbon fibre wings and nose cone, and save around £700. This is what I did, as I agree that the money is better spent on oily bits.

Jon

Oops, just re-read PACR's comments, and can't decide if the bit:

"pricing for a spec'd up SL was more than for a normal Seven to SL spec without the Carbon bits."

meant the carbon had been removed from the SL, or that the Roadsport spec. was the same, except it doesn't have carbon? I assumed the latter, but notice that you haven't spec'ed the big front brakes. At £700 this would probably tip the balance.

Jon

Thanks for all the replies

The consensus is that the 1.8SS / 6speed has the edge over the 1.8VVC / 5speed, mainly due to the gearbox.

The choice now is do I spec up a Roadsport to Superlight equipment levels, hence add uprated brakes, supersport suspension, 4pt belts etc costing 24240 quid.

Or

Down spec a Superlight by losing the Carbon Fibre Nose/Wings (saving about 700 quid) costing 24195.

This also comes with LSD, Carbon Dash, 13inch wheel, Adjustable suspension, Aluminium Radiator.

The Superlight is definitely better value for money, however driving from my house there are unavoidable speed bumps. How will a Superlight with 13inch wheels cope, even with the suspension raised by a couple eof centimetres.

Chris

At the time the SL only came with a 1.6 engine. The cost of the standard 'options' fitted to the SL was the same as the cost difference of the SL to a normal 1.8 car (no Roadsport at that time), thus the CF bits added a sizeable chunk to the cost. From what people are now saying it seems the pricing structure isn't like this anymore and you get more better value with a SL.

So I decided to go for a a bigger engine rather than CF. Also I was intending to use the car a lot and thought 13" wheels and ACB 10s weren't best suited to general throughout the year use. I didn't realise adjustable spring seats where standard, I could do with a set now. Again I didn't realise CF was deletable, but then its difficult to see it being a true SL without it. Basically I didn't have enough cash to get a weather geared, comfy SL so now have a larger engined version without the CF or big brakes (seemed a lot of money at the time and not much point unless you get really good tyres to complete the picture).

Piers

Pretty much anything is available as an option if you ask. For example, I know someone with an SL that has a std 1.8 in it, and a spare wheel. If you're worried about speed humps, get it on 14" wheels. Caterham will happily tailor the car to your needs if you discuss it with them.

The sales brochure/price list is really only an indication of the most common configurations.There are lots of goodies in the parts catalogue too, which you can spec. if you want. 22% rack, and 'race' master brake cylinder are two worth considering.

Phone the showroom and chat to someone like Jason Sutherland.

Cheers,

Jon