Click here if you are having website access problems ×

More Tyre Help Required (Sorry)

Sue Dinnim

Despite trawling through posts on blatchat and looking on the net I cannot find the answer to my questions. So can someone help please.

I need to change the CR500's on my car and I am looking at the Toyo's as they seem to be getting good press. There are currently 6 different options I am looking at and I don't understand all the ratings though I know some of them.

I currently have 175/55/13 on my superlight and the options I am looking at are:

175/65R13 E10 80T

175/60R13 F5 77H

175/60R13 R610A 77H

185/60R13 R610A 80 H

185/60R13 F5 80H

185/55R13 R610 77H

Now I know about the size and radial denotion but it's the reference after these I can't find. So can someone please explain the E10 80T, F5 77H, R610A and R610 differences please.

Forgot to add that should I still look at the 175's as the front arches are pretty close to the tyre already?

Thanks

Edited by - duncanp on 5 Dec 2004 11:38:05

• Support Team

T and H are the speed ratings. 80 and 77 are the load index.

Some information here. FYI most of the Yokohama race tyres that are available for Caterhams have an H rating.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

For Sale: wet sump, ali bellhousing, chrome headlights, sill protectors

Wanted: Black headlights, blank carbon dash

Duncan,

Can I ask why you are thinking of Toyo instead of Yoko's?

I'm interested because next season I will have to buy new and replace my CR500's. I thought Yoko A048's were getting better support on BC as a reasonable (and cheaper) alternative to CR500's than any other?

Paul

SL No.174

Member No.109xx *cool* Pictures here

Paul,

I am not looking at Yoko's currently because I have a second set of wheels with ACB10's on them so if I want a sticky tyre I can use those. It's primarily for suring the winter/wet months I am happy with the CR500's but they work out quite expensive. I know the yoko's are not too pricey but I just figured on something with a bit more tread on it otherwise I would go for the 48's.

Thanks for the advice on the load ratings. I forgot to add I knew about the speed ratings but didn't know the rest. What does the F5/R610 and E10 mean or are they irrelevant?

Edited by - DuncanP on 5 Dec 2004 14:04:55

DuncanP,

Toyo's get good press for thier "Proxes" range of performance tyres (and the new r888). sadly not available as small as 13".

from the list that you have given - E10, F5, R610A - are the different models, ie tread patterns of that specific tyre...

none of them are Proxes, and none of them are performance tyres. if you go to toyo's website and search through the different "performance", "comfort", "economy" type categories you will likely find all of these tyres come under the *UUUUGH nasty little jap hatchbach ditch-finder tread pattern*.... (http://www.toyo.co.uk/index.php?fuseaction=car.premium)

you need to look elsewhere for a good 13inch tyre! try www.topgear.co.uk i'd browse Falken (ZE502), Yoko (A539 S306), and Bridgestone (RE720). but its always worth going to the manufacturers site and checking the tread pettern and tech blurb of the tyre looks up to the job.

also, the sizes you list vary dramatically! unless you want to screw up the gearing and speedo accurancy, you need to stick as close as you can to the standard fit tyre. 175/60R13 and 185/55R13 are the closest you have. the other sizes will alter the rolling radius too much.

use the 'tire size calculator' as suggested by steve-b if you cant get your chosen tyre in 175/55. if i was in your position i would not go down to a 50 profile tyre. probably better to go up a profile than risk an under reading speedo and reduced ground clearance.

Edited by - granteuk on 5 Dec 2004 16:49:25

Edited by - granteuk on 5 Dec 2004 16:50:48

p.s yokohama A539 are a highly regarded tyre, available in 175/60R13 from topgear.co.uk for £32 each.

or falken ZE502 in 175/60R13 are £29.

or bridgestone RE720 for £39.

i'd go for one of these i think. the A539 being the pick. *thumbup*

p.s 175/55R13 is a very small tyre for a superlight *confused* is it?

Edited by - granteuk on 5 Dec 2004 16:57:08

• Support Team

From what I've read on various blatchat threads, all the List 1a sprint competitors seem to favour the Bridgestone RE720.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

You want some Yoko 021Rs.

Plenty of grip, wear well. You don't even need to change them for Summer :) Think you can still get these now the 048R is out.

185s will fit under std front arches and work well, either with 185s at the back (SL power levels) or 205s at the back (SLR+ power).

yoko 21 is indeed a good tyre. i use them myself and have been very pleased. i run 185 width, on a 13" rim, but the sidewall profile is 70. this is way to big compared to duncans normal 175/55 tyre...

DuncanP,

what are your thoughts on the above responses?

I am about to order new tyres for my 2nd set of wheels (14" revolutions) and will probably go for yoko A539. i am interested to know if you are thinking of going the same route... or have decided on something else (why?)

I have to say that the A539 is looking like a contender at the moment. I may try 185/60's on the car or go down the route of the 175/60's. I don't want to mess about too much on the size as the front arches are pretty tight on the tyres.

If I could afford it I would go for the CR500's but they are more than twice the price.

Just like to say thank you to everyone who replied.

Make sure that you have some weight about your car if you are going down the 593 route. I had trouble with traction when I put them on mine (e.g. I crashed on a cold damp road) Others like the 593's, but have heavier cars. Over 550kgs without driver sounds like the rule-of-thumb lower limit IMO.

BB

• Support Team

Having re-read you first post I have to ask why you want to replace tyres that are designed for a light weight car and provide great grip in wet and dry with tyres designed for a car at least twice as heavy that will not provide as much dry grip and might (maybe) provide equivalent wet grip?

If cost is the issue then look for a set of Yokohama A021R's in 185/60R13. Rolling radius will be similar to that of the CR500's (probably slightly bigger) but won't make much difference to the speedo readings. If you are feeling a bit braver go for A048R - I really like these tyres having previously run A021R which were great. 185 Yokos are similar in tread width to 175 CR500s.

I can't help feeling that you will regret the move to a tyre that will provide less grip. If all you do is road driving then maybe it won't have such a big impact on you but on track you will surely see a difference. I assume you bought a Superlight for its handling as much as anything so why compromise on the tyres?

Just my thoughts on an idle Wednesday afternooon *wink*.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Shaun,

I understand where you are coming from but I don't need a dryish track tyre as I have the ACB10's. I was trying to find a tyre which will be alright in the wet as well as the reasonably dry conditions. During the summer I will chance the ACb's.

At the moment most of my driving is on the road but I don't happen to have the best part of £400 to replace the CR500's so I was looking for alternatives.

Duncan

• Support Team

Sorry - hadn't realised that. Still reckon A021Rs would be a better bet, but that's still going to cost you about £70 a corner - if you can find a set.

Yellow SL *cool* #32