Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How much for a 97 Xflow without engine?

andywrx

I am in a difficult position of having to sell my seven because I am moving to New York in February but the engine has gone pop and I am trying to work out whether i should sell it without an engine or pay to have a new one put in and then sell it.

Just fishing for opinions at the moment but what does everyone think?

it is fairly average to poor condition so even with a new engine I guess it is only worth £8k.

What do you think it might be worth without an engine (well without a block to be exact because i still have the carbs and electrics etc, it was just the main engine bit that broke).

cheers

Andy

Andy, sorry to hear you and Lara are leaving us. ☹️ Is it permanent or will you be back?

When did the engine go bang?

Anyway on the car - if you are coming back, could you store it and leave yourself a 'project' to come home to? If not it will definitely be easier to sell complete with engine. Why not give James a ring and see if he could get her back into some sort of reasonable shape to sell before you leave. If you haven't got James no, give me a ring on 07831 789333.

And you won't get a chance to beat Lara at a slalom next year ☹️ 😬

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell of Su77on Se7ens and Surrey Joint AO

If you are coming back to the UK and want to mothball it, I'm sure we could find space for it on the farm... which would also allow Susan could keep chicken, as they would have somewhere to nest!

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 222bhp Sausage delivery machine

I am in turmoil over this one, The assignment is for a minimum of two years maximum of 4 years so there is little point in keeping it. Also if all goes to plan I will be able to afford a newer faster one when I return !! :-)

The engine has been blowing oil out of the breather hole since I had so I asked the guys at Sinclairs of London (they do track support at SELOC track days and have always been good to me) to take the engine out and see what was wrong, I expected it to be piston rings which they could fix but it turned out something had actually peirced the cylinder creating a hole from the cylinder into the sump.

So problem now is that the engine is out on the workbench at Sinclairs and I have to get an engine in it or it is worthless (ish). They can almost charge whatever they want because they know I have to get it back on the road, but I am sure they will be reasonable.

Peter, you dont fancy it as a project do you?

Also got a 300bhp impreza estate to get rid of. Make a great tow car for someone.

Cheers guys

Andy

I have had a number of emails about this but I am not sure that any of my responses have got through so I thought a quick update post on here will keep everyone up to date.

I will press Sinclair's for a price to put an engine in tomorrow and that will enable me to work out a fair price I am willing to sell it for. My gut feel is to let it go for £6k because that way the purchaser can still build a fair bit of profit into the deal for themselves just by putting an engine in it but I think there is a lot more value can be built into it just by tidying up some of the aesthetics.

Peter, you can have first dibs if you want it, it is the least I can do after all the help you gave me earlier in the year.

I will work out an exact price (maybe higher or lower) once I have a price to have a new engine in it and will then repost. Basically I think I know what I can sell it for in full working order and I know how much I am willing to lose by not having the work done myself and therefore save myself the time it will take to sell it, as you can imagine I am a bit busy now with my relocation plans.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions, I have put some details below:

Q plate first registered in 1997

13000 miles (but dead engine)

5 speed

de dion

green and yellow leather seats

badged as a lotus everywhere not caterham (wheels and bonnet badge)

Yoko A032s

green stuff pads

The car is in average condition, I have detailed a few of the faults that I am aware of.

There are some paint chips around the edge of the bonnet where I have taken it off and on.

There is a large (1 inch) chip on the front nose where I misjudged some parking.

There are bits of rust on some exposed bits of kit, most notably on the steering rack arms (probably replace quite cheaply), the headlight stays and maybe a bit on the front suspension.

There are some scrapes on the side of the car by the front wheels where the steering rack is not set up to stop before the back of the cycle wings hit the side of the body.

Hope that helps

Andy