Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Chassis Rust

Paul Formston

Hi Lads

Iv'e just bought my first seven and am A bit worried about all the pictures on Blatchat of rusty chassis and under panels is the powder coating on the new sevens good enough or do I need to paint the exposed chassis with some smoothright, im going to beed seal all joints with PRC(aircraft sealent ) to prevent water ingress and also over coat the rivet head and etch prime and paint the ally panels underneath with silver smoothright is this A good idea. and is there any sealent between the ally panels and the Chassis

Regards Paul *confused*

PRC is good stuff *thumbup* - my RAF mate used it for everything - including resoleing his shoes (just built up a few layers of PRC), sealing his roof, fixing punctures . . . . It wouldbe excellent as a rubberised coating/sealant for Caterham bits.

Surrounded by cut up chassis tubes - still after a 3.14 diff.

*thumbup*

Before you use it, do a quick search on BC techtalk - it's all on the tin, but you'll probably need to read a few real-world reminders about not getting it on your skin (or rather cleaning it off before it dries - unless you like the warpaint look) and also sealing the tin with a double-layer of cling-film (if you ever want to open the tin again).... *smile*

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

So ,if I knew someone ( hypothetically speaking of course) who had the dreaded blistering of the skin on the drivers side by the pedal box - What should they do about it ?

Just so I could pass on the information you understand

• Support Team

SimonM

If it's getting that bad then you have 3 realistic choices:

1) Ignore it - clean out the grot traps, spray with some rust preventer (waxoyl or dinitrol) and hope it doesn't get any worse

2) have sideskins replaced - remove suspension and take to Arch. They will treat the exposed chassis and paint it, and then put new sideskins on. Take to TSK for paint if required.

3) go the whole hog and strip car completely for a chassis up refurbishment - this is what I am in the process of doing. Strip the car yourself (absolutely everything must come off) and then take to Arch for blasting to remove remaining powder coat and rust, repair if necessary, zinc phosphate prime,new powder coat and finally new panels. Take to TSK for a new paint job if required. Don't expect much change from £3k for this process.

Of course you will inevitably end up spending a load more as you replace all the other things that are looking a bit tatty *tongue*. Somehow I managed to end up with a new dry sump system 😬 amongst other new shiny bits.

I suggest you look over the rest of the chassis to see if there are any other areas of rust - mine was suffereing quite badly at the back and some of the front chassis rails were very pitte as well. I painted them with POR15 a couple of years ago but it was only a temprary reprieve as you can't get to many of the areas that are badly affected without dismantling the car.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

For Sale: wet sump, ali bellhousing, chrome headlights, sill protectors

Wanted: Black headlights, blank carbon dash

Edited by - Shaun_E on 3 Dec 2004 15:00:00