Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best practice for crimping/soldering

Mcalvert

couple of points.. Space Shuttle is ONLY crimped..Vibration is an issue.. using crimping tools that are pricier than the Average Caterham and subject to constant recalibration :-)...it Takes a Lot of expensive Tools to equal the connection acvailable from a $10 Soldering iron and a few cents worth of Solder.

But Hey! nothings too good for a Wiring Harness than would embarass a Chinese made Clock Radio.

One of the problems of soldering a crimp joint is that many use an 'active' fluxed solder such as Ersin Multicore. This is what eats the metal.

Use a good quality 'non active' flux solder, available from Farnells or CPC.

If it's the starter button and it is passing high current I would certainly solder the joint.

I think this is coming to the conclusion that some people prefer crimping and some soldering.

IMHO it probably doesn't matter which is used as long as the joint is electrically sound, is unlikely to corrode or fail in the near future.

Personally I can never seem to get a solder connection that gives me confidence. I either partially melt the wire insulation, leave a bare bit of un-insulated wire or the solder joint is dry - on the other hand, nearly all of my crimped connections have turned out OK.

As I'm more confident with crimping, that's what I use. I think a crimped joint is less easy to mess-up if the correct tool is used (I use a "Professional" Draper crimper which cost about £12), whereas for me a soldered joint is more likely to be poor 😬

Edited by - Tony C on 3 Dec 2004 10:04:30

Haven't read all the responses so this may be a repeat.

In high vibration situations the soldered joint can sometimes work against you in that the transition between the solder and wire strands is very sudden leading to high fatigue at the interface. I think a properly crimped joint will generally give better long term performance. This means using good quality tools and properly sized crimps.

*thumbup*

C7 CDW

Most replies have been empirical .If you wish to have a better /more secure joint than chance will provide, then a specification for crimp or solder considering enviromentle conditions eg vibration level and vibration frequency,humidity,

temperature etc, and test to failure useing these variables

OR look for a happy medium ?