Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best practice for crimping/soldering

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

What is the best way to attach spade connectors and the like to wires? Whenever I use my crimping tool I end up with a connection which I never trust 100%. I then normally try to add solder and get in a mess *mad*

Is there a guide to best practice here? What about heat shrink and the like?

I've jusr received my Big Red starter button from RS components (ordered 7pm last night, delivered 08:40 this morning - amazing *smile*) and want to make a good job when I do the wiring.

Thanks!

Michael.

Hi Mike - thanks for last night - really enjoyed it *wink*

Do yo uhave a 'proper' crimping tool, with the 'stepped' clampy bit - or do you just use a simple one that 'crushes' the connectors locally with a 'flat' crimping surface? Does that make sense?? If you have the latter, then buy the more expensive 'proper' version, I am pretty sure these are much much better at crimping reliably.

HUGE UPDATE ALMOST WITH VIDEO

here

70,000miles in 3 years

Agree totally with Angus. The professional tool has a ratchet that will not release until the crimp is correct.

It's always a good idea to dip the wire in copper grease first.

Be aware that the Big Red Start Button needs smaller than standard connecters, but the correct size is available from Vehicle Wiring Products - probably not Halfords.

Crimp connectors are used almost exclusively on aircraft because vibration can weaken a solder connection.

Depending on wire thickness and the hole size in the connector it is worth having too much copper wire showing through then twisting it and doubling it back on itself so you get double the crimpage (sp?) on the wire...Agree totally about the 'proper' crimper too...can get on ebay or from good motor factors etc (not sure about halfrauds!)

Kev

• Leadership Team

Hmm, looks like a new tol is needed. No, I only have a cheapy one without a ratchet. Any recommendations re makes/types to look for, or is it just a "ratchet crimper"?

OK, so I invest in the proper tool, then:

Strip insulation

twist strands together?

Dip in copper grease (what does this help with?)

Squeeze until ratchet mechanism does its bit

Do I need to worry about heat shrink sleeving?

Thanks all - Michael.

Pretty much - I guess copper grease stops the joint corroding and 'drying out' - you know, when they go all dusty and green!

Ratchet tool applies correct pressure etc so no danger of cracking spade connector - if I had one you would be welcome to borrow it - but I don't!! *smile*

HUGE UPDATE ALMOST WITH VIDEO

here

70,000miles in 3 years

Michael, get a DV5 from Vehicle Wiring Products 0115 930 5454.

I'd lend you mine if you can get it back to me for next Thursday.

Or can I make the wires up for you and bring them on Saturday?

What I did, to avoid the clicking starter syndrome, is run a wire from the battery isolator to the button then from button to starter. I used 30 amp wire and routed away from heat.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

...and finally, a topic in techtalk I think I know something about!

Like most things 'you gets what you pays for' and the better crimping tools are generally 'more accurate' in forming the crimp around the cable than the 'lets crush it to death' cheaper tools. Buy a 'good ratchet' crimper. When I worked on aircraft, one of the biggest problems for 'crappy joints' (a technical term) was damage to the conductors through over aggressive insulation stripping. Dont overtwist the conductors, just enough to stop 'splaying'. As for heat shrink, its used as an insulator (and sometimes doubling up as a cable identifier) and if you can get it easily its not a bad practice to use it. (although Ive seen it used by people to try to hide poor crimping).

Bob

• Leadership Team

Thanks all - so it looks like the "Quality Ratchet crimper" at £30 in the site which Mark has suggested would be about right? Doesn't sound too expensive if this is an appropriate piece of kit?

Regards -Michael.

Michael, you need to decide which terminals you're using before getting the correct tool. The DV% from VWP is 17.35 +VAT. I'll bring an assortment of terminals for this crimper if you want.

Let me know.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

should be DV5 - must remember to take finger off shift key

Edited by - nverona on 2 Dec 2004 13:41:38

I think the Sykes Pickavant version of this tool is about £15-20. As with all Sykes gear, it's good enough for pros therefore it's good enough for me. I don't intend to use the thing every day after all. I should have put this on the Xmas list really, I'm still using the rubbish one for a couple of quid. I do back it up with solder though, if you know what you are doing and above all else everything's clean you don't make a mess of it.

• Leadership Team

Thanks Jack - I do appreciate the offer! However, I'm getting quite excited about a new addition to the garage, so I think I'll order one for myself *smile*

All the best, and thanks to all for your suggestions & offers, Michael. *thumbup*

I nearly always solder the connections ot otherwise i put them in a vise 😬 to be sure i have a solid connection.

If you want to solder you can dip the copper and the connector in soldering paste before you put the solder on this makes it far more easy to get a proper finish. I also put some solder on the wire before i put it into the connector.

I know it's time consuming but i never had an electrical fault in 12 years of rallying.

You should not add solder to crimps as you will make them less reliable. Unless you get all the flux off, the joint will corrode. The solder will also make the wire brittle, causing it to fail when it experiences a lot of vibration.

SEP field working, not spotted in 103,000 miles. Some photos on webshots, updated 21 Sept

Practice makes perfect. With soldering also, a good / firm mechanical joint then solder with correct temperature iron do not

cook joint ,solder should flow instantly and form a meniscus around

the joint. Multistrand wire can be used to help negate vibration

but in any case leave some slack. A heat sink can be used to protect

components . These comments should be read along with advice on

crimping