Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rough idle and whirring noise

coopertrooper2001

Another question about the Caterham Im afraid.

Standard Superlight running a K-Series with 5k on the clock. When the car is idling at 1200-1400 RPM from cold it is fine, but when it gets warm and idles around 900-1000 RPM it almost sounds like its hunting.

The potentiometer was replaced before delivery was taken but it still doesnt sound right.

I know its running an uprated cam but just doesnt seem right.

Also when you take your foot off the clutch and idle there is a strange whirring almost a grating noise, clutch in noise gone. CRB? Idler gear, drop gears?

• Support Team

As standard, Superlight is fitted with 1.6 Supersport engine. Supersport cams are a little bit lumpy, especially if timed correctly. If it really is hunting badly then there might be something wrong - best bet is to go to your local meet and listen to some other SS engines.

As Mark says the gearbox noise is a standard feature *tongue*.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

For Sale: wet sump, ali bellhousing, chrome headlights, sill protectors

Wanted: Black headlights, blank carbon dash

Have you checked that the IACV is plugged-in and working OK (you should be able to hear it whir when you turn the ignition on and off - after a short delay (IIRC - haven't driven my car for over a month now!)

When I picked up my s/h 7 last year, the idle was pants - and hunting - the IACV had been unplugged for some reason.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com