Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

k series pi**ing oil everywhere

mightymetros

Got the head back on the car, been running fine apart from the 4 stripped threads in the head where the cam cover bolts too *mad* *mad* *mad*. Got some longer bolts and torqued them up, which stopped the slight leak there, but, the car is throwing oil everywhere on the passenger side of the car (its in a metro so the gearbox side). It is ok with road driving, but as soon as i go on track and go round corners the engine just losses lots and lots of oil (nearly 1/4 on a couple of laps) Any ideas where it could be coming from, and why it only comes out on corners? Its a 1800 vvc engine. Oil is even on the underside of the bonnet

thank you

sacha

Myles, thanks for the advice, although it is rather ironic that our local tesco, and local police station share the same car park *tongue* *tongue* *tongue* 😬 😬 😬 😬 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Norman, thanks, ill get a new gasket tommorow, and re-tap the holes to M8 if possible and give it a whirl. I have been told that that side of the engine can suffer from oil starvation and thus why it doesn't come out in normal driving conditions

presumable the engine is transversely mounted as its a Metro? So the oil will (presumably) be coming out of one END of other of the engine, rather than the sides (assuming 'sides' are the long edges that run north south in a proper car but east/west in a FWD tintop).

Nothing stupid like the oil cap or dip stick not seated properly?

Is the passenger side the flywheel side? if so coild it be the crank oil seal and then oil being thrown about by the flywheel?, seal may only be leaking due to oil sloshing against it on cornering.

also VVC engines seem prone to iol retention in the head at high revs, may be talk to DVA

simon

I do have one of the breathers going to atmosphere, but there is such a vast amount of oil there. But, as simon stated, if the vvc retains oil in the head at high revs, it could be possible...................mmmm, the flywheel/gearbox has covers over, so it is unlikely that the oil would be sprayed everywhere isnt it??? sorry guys, im just stumped. I may try and knock up a temporary catch can to see if it is the breather.

sacha

If it was the breather, why doesnt the breather from the second exit on the head, that goes to the vvc manifold, put oil into the manifold and cloud everything with blue smoke as it burns off through the engine

It sounds a bit like my 7 - one of the bolts has stripped on the cam cover (passenger side, nearest the footwell) and it leaks like a stuck pig on a track (runs forward along the side of the engine, presumably under braking, and then down the side of the engine and across to the bay via the engine strut).

Sometimes oil gets on the manifold - very disconcerting when you come out of a bend and see a big blue white cloud in your mirrors!

I think it just means you have a camcover leak somewhere - follow Norm's advice and clean it up, take it for a quick thrash and see where the oil is.

I am off to the garage on Friday to get the stripped thread retapped.

Steve

Cam ladder to head sealant not done properly especially at corners oil retained in head on fast cornering being forced out and fan firing it everywhere . Dosn't happen on tickover or when your not throwing car about.

I find lots of folk havn't a baldy about how to seal the cam ladder /head interface

So I'd look there first. *cool*

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services.N.I.

Caterham Service Agents.

John summs it up........ absolute cleanliness and make sure both surfaces are completly flat then carefully apply Rover Glup not to much it'll fill the oil ways and use new cam oil seals, tighten up in correct order a little at a time so as not to distort the assembly. None of mine [touches wodden object on top of shoulders] *wink* have leaked yet but i've seen a fair few that have. *mad*

jj

N.I. L7C AO.

Membership No.3927.

Se7en Services.N.I.

Caterham Service Agents.