Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fire Damaged Caterham on Ebay

jonboylaw

Wahey, I'm not trying to shoot anyone down before they have a go. *smile* You have every right to buy this for track use. The bit I think is outside the spirit of the law is what I describe above, where you buy a second identity and effectively put the "unrepairable" car back on the road. If you want to build a non road going 2 seat gokart from it then that's fine and entirely up to you. Having said that if you want to do 25 track days a year why not do them in the Darvi single seater that's in "For Sale" at 1500ish, or something similar? Have I missed something?

Good as a 7 may be on a track I can't help thinking a that a single seater is a better choice if that's all you want to do with it.

no intention of giving it an identity, that is illegal and I am not a law breaker (apart from the odd time speeding on the motorway)

Regarding single seaters, they are not allowed on may events, I find them ugly, boring and one has never managed to keep up with my 7 to date when they are allowed on track.

Basically, like most people on this site, I am a fan of the Caterham 7 and know w bit about them. Hence the interest in the project.

I think the only thing you are missing is the ability to accept others have different viewpoints to yourself and may want to go about a task in a different way.

5 speed unfortunately.

Quote"I think the only thing you are missing is the ability to accept others have different viewpoints to yourself and may want to go about a task in a different way."

I hardly think so. Of any criticism you may care to level at me I think you'll find that's the least justified. You may go about any task any way you please, it's entirely your choice. If you read my posts (there are a few... *smile*) you'll see that I generally advocate considering "different" routes to an end as this is generally more interesting and satisfying. (That said should anyone not wish to devote time and effort to a task and instead attack it with their chequebook, then that's fine too.) The search for "different" is exactly what led me to ask "why not use a single seater?" for heaven's sake.

I know you don't want to put this on the road. You said this in an earlier post. My post was my own reflection on whether doing so might be feasible and/or legal.

As for single seaters not outperforming 7s, I really do think that's the singer not the song. Otherwise 7s would be faster than GP cars...

If OTOH you think they are ugly and/or boring, then that's justification enough not to want one.

The only other thing I may be missing is an understanding of why you appear to have suffered a sense of humour failure with a fellow 7 enthusiast who had the temerity to ask "have you considered doing it another way?". *confused*

Dannyboy, thanks. I didn't know you couldn't generally use singles on track days.

Wahey, please do keep us informed - I for one would like to hear how easy it is to build a Seven up from this condition.

There is clearly a price point beyond which such a project becomes uneconomic. An ex race Seven can be bought as cheaply as £9k (e.g. a Graduate spec car) - possiblby even cheaper at this time of year.

As Wahey says, he also reduces the wear on his road car by going this route and of course adds to his knowledge bank on how to drive a Seven.

Good luck *thumbup*

Going back to my earlier post .......that is what I did with my MG except that I imported a shell from California. The only original body parts are the boot lid & axle casing.

EFA reckons the only part of his car left from what he bought from Caterham 10 years ago is the diff casing!

Edited by - AVES on 2 Dec 2004 12:08:15

Will be keeping people informed.

I am certainly hoping it will set me back less than £9k in total.

I am reckoning at the minute something like £6 - £7k. I will no doubt go over budget but I am lucky enough to have loads of spares already that will be useful.

I think it will be quite easy to do, just the same as a full re-build really.

Let arch have it for a few weeks, then maybe 5 or 6 decent weekends to put it back together. The main tricky bit will be the wiring (I assume most will be for the bin) and things like the brake lines.

LeMans 2004 pics here

*FREE* Seven related chat here

Correction, that's the gf's.

Will be selling that one in the new year and she will be sharing the Sl & the burnt wreck.

I have to give the academy car back at the end of the season so while I have that it is the ideal time to rebuild all the others. There will only be 2 left at the end of it all and my missus is now a keen track driver too so 1 each isn't so bad.

hi rich

so you got the caterham bar b q then.

found you a few bits, had a grill at home.

just dropped the engine in R7 EVL tonite.

When do you get the acad05 car?

hugs

WERTZ... *thumbup*

ps, sorry for no reply to email, workin all hours trying to get cars built ready for santa.

Edited by - wertz68 on 9 Dec 2004 22:12:45