Click here if you are having website access problems ×

o/t Fed up with computers...

Mrs GTD

After a number of 'interesting' telephone conversations with some very (I'm sure) 'sweet' people in India I have cancelled my bank transfer to Dell for my new computer, and as far as I'm concerned they can shove their hard drives somewhere unpleasant. I am alternately ☹️ and *mad* and very frustrated at the complete lack of service I seem to be getting.

So now I'm back to where I was a week ago, trying to source a computer. Any suggestions?

☹️ ☹️ *mad* ☹️ ☹️ *mad* ☹️ ☹️ *mad* ☹️ ☹️ *mad* ☹️ ☹️ *mad* ☹️ ☹️ *mad*

Mrs GTD

Carbonette - patches that make it easy to say NO to carbon fibre

Buy the components and build one yourself *confused* You'll learn lots and spend a lot of time and money getting it to go faster *eek*

Now where have i heard that line before 😬

Hmmmm..... carbon fibre computer cases.... That's a good idea 😳 *tongue*

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional 😬

See the old Barbarella here...

Edited to add ... "And you can always ask on blatchat for any help" *thumbup*

Edited by - Fletch on 29 Nov 2004 17:33:10

Have you tried Future Micros in Brighton Mrs GTD??? They do mainly components, but I 'think' they also build computers for you or could certainly point you in the right direction!!

here

46 Preston Road Brighton, E.Sussex BN1 4QF

Tel: (01273) 600859 / 382200 Fax: (01273) 677061

Dannyboy *tongue*

If you do want to use Dell, then go through the Small Business part of the site work out the spec that you want, and then ring them up. I've always spoken to Dell sales just outside Dublin, I've had good service from them, and you can negotiate the price downwards from the price you see on their web site. If you want to speak to someone whose first language is English after the machine has been delivered, you need to make sure that you purchase 'Gold' support.

Dell are cheap and nasty for home support now. Move manufacturing and HOME support to China. Not recommended (my own personal experience), they are okay until things start going wrong. You can take the cheap price and cross your finger with their support amd pray everytjing works alright for ever 😳 Business support is now picking back up by moving it back to Eire, but they left quite a few unhappy customers behind. Also avoid TIME if at all possible (again, it's personal).

No-one ever got sacked for buying IBM (or HP/Compaq), but that''s like saying i won't build a caterham to my spec and get the same performance as a BMW or Merc for twice the money.

You pays yer money, you takes yer choices 😬 Gissa buzz or dropus an email if you wanna discuss options Angie / Geoff.

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional 😬

See the old Barbarella here...

Thanks all. I think I made the mistake of seeing what I thought I wanted on the interweb, and then checked it out to confirm the spec with the fleshy part of Dell. I'm sure the girl I dealt with is a very nice person, but she was a bit too pushy, spoke waaaaay too fast, and as my Punjabi is not up to scratch I struggled a bit. I'd be absolutely thrilled if I could have spoken to someone as local as Dublin!

I felt that if they couldn't answer two simple questions for me (had they received my money & was there an internal modem that was suitable for ISDN) then the 3 year extended support wasn't really worth much. The fact that it took over 8 hours yesterday to get a response from them didn't inspire me either...

Ironically I've just bought 2 PCs from Novatech for the office, after my suggestion of using Dell was derided. The office consensus was to avoid them (Dell) like the plague, but I tried championing them to no avail, which is why we have two shiny, very cheap Novatech PCs.

I appreciate all the suggestions, and will have a trawl through all the websites. The Savrow stuff looks lovely, but I don't think they do it in carbon fibre 😬

Mrs GTD

Hello Mr Verona! Didn't realise you were selling pooters. I'll e-mail you the spec sheet I got from Dell. Can you let me have your e-mail address as I don't think I can attach docs to Blatmail. *smile*

Mrs GTD