Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Re-coating Red Dash

Mcalvert

• Leadership Team

OK, so a red leather dash isn't everyone's idea of great taste, but it's what our 7 came with and I'm (quite) attached to it.

However, it's rather tatty after 13 years of wear, particularly around the indicator switch where the colour has worn away. Does anyone know how I could restore it to its original colour without replacing the lot?

Thanks - Michael.

Edited by - Mcalvert on 29 Nov 2004 11:42:03

• Leadership Team

Thanks Shaun - didn't think of that *smile*

Seriously, paint MIGHT do the job, but I'm looking for something which will go "in" the material, rather than ot on the top and possibly flake off.

Ian - Thanls for the hint - I'll have a look.

Michael.

If the leather (assuming it's real leather) is scuffed and the colour has been rubbed away - you can use a product called 'scuffmaster'. It is a spirit based dye, specifically for renovating scuffed leather seats. I have used it on various interior trim, and provided you get the correct colour it works very well.

I have always bought mine from shows - the guy on the stand will match colour for you if it is a special. The pot comes with a lightener, darkener, and a matt additive, so that you can do slight adustments to make a perfect match.

here

Micheal, It's late, I'm tired and have had the worst drive I can remember from Emerald to home in very heavy rain.

But the good news is I've got red dye for your dash and having done mine (before going carbon) can advise. I'll bring the stuff you need next week.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You star Norman *thumbup* Michael won't be at the Sheds do but I will..............

7heavensoon - good idea, and it does exist (and works, at least temporarily) but I am still trying to get the red stains out of all my clothes where my knee rubs the dash 😳

• Leadership Team

Thanks for that Norman! As Tam says, I now have to travel on business, and will miss the shed's do ☹️

However, if you could please bring this along for Tam, it would be much appreciated!

All the best - Michael.

I helped my father restore the acres of trim on an old car he had using a Woolies leather restoration kit. The leather was worn and discoloured, with scratches in the colour wher the dogs had jumped all over it.

The results were superb - far better than I anticipated. It did take some effort, particularly at the cleaning stage, but with care we got the colour consistent all over. The dye soaks into the leather, and coats can be built up to cover all scratches etc. Final stage is to seal with a paste and apply hide food.

To do the whole interior took several days. I was a student at the time so had time to burn....

I'm sure Woolies will do a small amount for your dashboard. It is reasonably inexpensive.

Connollly used to sell similar kits, but with a spirit based dye. (Woolies was a waterbased dye, hence the sealer)

Jonathan