Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

GOLF REAR CALLIPERS updated prices

Normans_Ghost

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dammit. I've been thinking more on this, and there just isn't a neat handbrake solution is there? Am I right in thinking that the various mechanical calipers (like the Wilwood) don't work terribly well? Part of my beef is that I like to use the handbrake as a steering lever from time to time, so for me the handbrake wouldn't do to be too weedy.

No, there isn't unless you shell out for the Brembo handbrake-only calipers which are heavy (2kg each) and expensive (230 quid+ for a pair). I'm using new MINI calipers on the Furybird II - ali, nice handbrake mechanism - but retrofitting a pair to a Cat would be a PITA.

I'm starting on the handbrake thingy next week. The spring steel given me by ChrisB isn't what i need so I'll either get it rolled or get some 1"x8"x 20 gauge.

I'm then going to get brake lining material bonded to it and then anchor one end to the lower chassis rail next to the rear end of the prop and fit a threaded rod with a ratchet through the other end. Pushing down on the rod (fitted with a big plastic knob) will tighten the brake band around the prop. Flicking the lever back out of the ratchet, will release.

I'm also fitting a line lock and moving the bias adjuster to the tunnel.

Nothing like belt, braces and string.

I'll post a new thread when I've done it and let you know if it works.

If so then, whilst it's not cheap we have a MOT passable car with AP racing rear callipers and have saved the weight of the existing handbrake. Will be substantial for the under dash unit.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

Norman,

just thinking... its not my stong point, so bare with me..

What would happen if you tried to do a hand-brake turn with your prop shaft brake?

assuming you stop the prop shaft turing wouldn't it be possible for the rear wheels to still turn, albeit in opposite directions to each other, through the diff (assuming open diff)??

Now this wouldn't ever happen normally but I can sort of envision that if you tried to do a hand brake turn (only real world use for the hand brake after all in a 7!) that the ouside wheel would keep turning and the inside wheel would turn backwards due to being unweighted...

Or is my thinking totally wrong... would the forces ever work out to turn one wheel backwards and the other to roll on forwards rather than locking both??

But then, I do know you would never try such a silly manouver, and your brake is mainly for MOT purposes and my wibblings are therefore totally irrelevant (as ever!).

Norm,

anything which uses the tube of the prop as one friction surface of a brake sounds lethal. It is difficult to ensure that the friction material is fully backed off every time the brake is released so wear will take place on the prop tube over a period of time *eek* Or have I got your idea wrong?

15-20lb of fast moving steel getting out of the tunnel whilst rotating at engine speed or faster = v.bad happening + nasty incident

Prop brakes tend to utilise an additional brake drum or disc mounted at one of the flanges. *wink*

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬

Nod. The prop tube is only a couple of mm thick too. And if you start shaving it, you could quickly throw it off balance.

Why not sandwich a small steel disk between the diff flange and the propshaft flange and run a moped caliper on it, presuming there is room in the tunnel.

I was planning on doing this with the electric reverse ring-gear on my BEC, but have never been arsed...

Just got back from a few days away and just read the news ☹️ Two quick questions for Norman;

a/ where did the 13 inch wheels foul with the Golf bracket ?

b/ Which Golf (model/year or part no) were the calipers off of ?

Thinking that I may have another look at this after Xmas

Ian, This is to be used for MOT purposes only. I don't use the existing handbrake much now. I've seen shaft handbrakes on machinery and if a soft lining is used there will be no wear to the metal. The band will be well clear when "open". If I can't get the desired effect then it won't work.

Graham, a) the profile of the calliper is higher than the sierra as is the bracket. The inner rim of the wheel is touching the top of the calliper. With the Sierra bracket it will clear but only with a 1" spacer and longer studs. b) I'll have to look at the box the pads are in. I'll post tomorrow.

Neil, may on a non lsd, but I don't think it will allow donuts on the handbrake. Line lock may. Donuts are not my scene anyway. leave that kind of thing to Arnie.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

Edited by - nverona on 7 Dec 2004 00:32:33

I was thinking the same about the caliper. I had someone measure the gap between the top of the Sierra caliper and the rim, and he reckons its 30mm on my car, so the Golf caliper must be substancially taller than the Sierra one, to foul. Thats why I want to revisit it after Xmas to see if somethig can be done. Once Norman has let us have the caliper part number I will get one from a scrappy and have a play