Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

GOLF REAR CALLIPERS updated prices

Normans_Ghost

Oh, the shame. I get easily muddled with hydraulics for some reason, so having dug out my old school physics textbook, I can see that the reverse of what I said is true regarding rear brake bias. Taking a back-of-fag-packet figure of 200N into the standard M/C, this yields around 800KPa in the circuit or 1165N in a Sierra caliper vs 860N in a VW. I think that's right. Which means that the VW item is an even better bet.

Norman, I'm almost convinced to go this route but I just need a bit more time to decide to do that rather than go for some sort of two-pot caliper arrangement.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Ed, I think Luke has turned his disc down by 4mm. This is why the VW pad is sticking up above the edge of the disc. I did not notice this when I bolted the calliper to my car (in situ) and I think I would have if it did stick up.

If Chris doesn't want me to fit them to his car then I'll send them back.

I can arrange to have them sent to anyone who wants them at the prices quoted, but the outstanding issues with the handbrake cable, bleeding the unit and the pipe thread will remain for you to sort.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

Westfield rear disks are 240mm, for those in the same position as me.

So I guess the caliper is slightly further out on a Westfield, which means if it fits under a 13inch wheel on a Caterham, it doesnt guaruntee that it fits on a Westfield.

Although new kits from Westfield come with VAG calipers, although rumour has it the mounting holes are different from the rear uprights for the sierra calipers.

The prices are confirmed as follows:

desc.............retail........qty...price...........vat

housing.........075.75.......2......113.62........19.88

calliper.........039.09.......2......050.80.........08.89

pads............021.61.......1......015.55.........02.72

TOTAL 211.56

There may be a couple of quid for a brake pipe adaptor kit and a trunnion for the handbrake cable.

I will send a copy of the invoice from the VW dealer with bits or arrange for you to order direct.

We'll be fitting them to ChrisB's car over christmas so, all being well, will take orders in the new year.

Back to common sense then.

I'll be fitting the calliper to my car and will have Chris's 13" wheel to try. I will also remove the pipe to see if thread same. Then the 2 callipers are going for powder coating. They will be fitted to Chris's car upon his return from honeymoon. Probably over christmas.

He's in a big engineering company and they use the company that do the VW rally pc'ing. So he's arranged for them to go whilst he's away.

I've now found that the brake pipe thread is different to the Sierra unit. And I don't have a union to suit. I'll replace the pipe end on Chris's and make up short adaptor pipes for the rest (if you cant change the end)

What I had intended to do whilst the rear brake circuit was in pieces, was to hook the caliper up with a short braided hose, terminating in a bulkhead fitting into a little plate which would attach to the De Dion tube, and then plumb the copper line into that. Or you could run braided hose all the way from the T piece, as a number of folk here have done. Just a couple of options for y'all to consider.

Luke, I was working on the basis that most people wouldn't want to mess about with brake pipes so a short bridge pipe which allowed the existing pipe to screw into would be favoured.

However if anyone wants to do their own thing thats fine, save me making pipes up.

I have replaced the rear brake pipes with braided and have a 45 degree swivel attached to the caliper (gives the correct exit angle). I guess I will need to change the swivel. Norman, do you know what measurement the VW thread is?

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell of Su77on Se7ens and Surrey Joint AO

Right good news first.

Isn't any.

bad news is that with the VW bracket the 13" wheel does not fit. With the Sierra bracket & pads it will need a 1" spacer and longer studs but will fit.

I don't see the point in using the Sierra bracket and pads and fitting 1.5" longer studs and the 1" spacer. The amount of other mods is begining to make the end result not worth the work to acheive it.

It will take a 14" or 15" wheel.

before sending the bits back for credit, anyone with larger wheels who wants to do the mod please email me via blatmail.

Sorry it didn't work. I'm willing to try any other ideas.

I'm starting work on my car next Friday. Engine, box & diff out first. Brakes started on after that, probably next Saturday.