Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon Fibre - removing lacquer

Shaun_E

• Support Team

I've read all the post's in the archive regarding this topic but would like a bit more reassurance on the best/safest route.

My carbon cycle wings (source unknown) have been lacquered and this lacquer has chipped to the point where it is actually flaking off.

1) I would like to remove this lacquer. The consensus appears to be that Nitromors varnish and lacquer remover is the product of choice - is this safe to use on carbon fibre?

2) Once lacquer is removed, is it worth having the wings re-lacquered or should i just polish them up with bumper black/MER/whatever?

Cheers,

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Well, the lacquer will just chip again if you replace it... But this might be your only option.

The DITP wings I (and others) have aren't lacquered AFAIK - the surface is created by the autoclaved resin in the pre-preg cloth. This wears extremely well and is one of the reasons why I am very wary of 'lesser' cf construction methods.

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• Support Team

Myles - I had originally budgeted to replace the wings (with Activa parts) but then I bought a dry sump 😬. My current wings are undamaged apart from the lacquer so it seems daft to replace them if not necessary. If I can remove the lacquer and leave a good finish then that is my preference but if the finish achieved is poor then it wouldn't cost much to have them laqcuered again.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Mmm - I guess I'd pick a dry-sump over pretty wings as well...

The only experience I'm aware of locally in the club related to removing paint from CC's cf wings - and this worked remarkably well (Nitromors, I think) - but I don't know if they had a lacquer layer underneath or not.

Why not try it on the inner-lip of the rear wings first?

Project Scope-Creep is underway...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

• Support Team

Kev - think you have 3 choices for carbon: Activa - £110 each+VAT, Freestyle (MOG parts) - from €119 each, or Caterham themselves - £180 each.

For glass fibre probably only Caterham - £41.13 each.

Yellow SL *cool* #32

Edited by - Shaun_E on 26 Nov 2004 13:57:08

Edited by - Shaun_E on 26 Nov 2004 23:53:04

I recently bought a set of carbon wings from Fluke for 155 a pair, they have a few sets left i think at this price, they are brand new, laquered and extremely well made, if you look on their site you should see them advertised under clearance bargains (I believe they are MOG items). Highly recommended....

[Quiet mode]

I heard Activa's got some ( 3 sets) of slightly imperfect front wings for £50 to £90 each quality dependent. There's one set of slightly imperfect rears as well for £250. All plus VAT. These have come about whilst running tests on our autoclave to perfect calibration. Once gone I doubt we will have any more.

[/Quiet mode]

• Leadership Team

Shaun - you can remove the laqcuer with Nitromors and then have them re-laqcuered. A laqcuered cycle wing, although obviously not as damage resilient as bare carbon, is no different than a painted cycle wing *thumbup*

Stu.